• Screen, color or not

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • Style, watch puck, console

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • Other, designate below

Votes: 43 31.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

#1: Reliability.
#2: Customer Service.
#3: User interface.

Everything else you listed is based on your personal needs and preferences. But if the computer doesn't work and you can't figure out how to use it, it's a paperweight.

I am confused: if it's reliable, why do you need customer service? And the follow-up question: if it doesn't work, why would you try to figure out how to use it?

There are many discussions on SB about choosing a dive computer. In your opinion, what is the single most important factor in choosing a recreational dive computer? Clearly, more than one variable may be important, or even determining, in your final choice of a computer.

The problem with your question is you don't ask whether it's the first recreational dive computer, or you're upgrading.

One of the oldest rules in Software Engineering book is "write one to throw away". Because the first one is where you learn what you actually want -- as opposed to what you thought you want before you started using it for real.

For a "one size fits both" answer I think @boulderjohn has it: ease of use.

The problem with your question is you don't ask whether it's the first recreational dive computer, or you're upgrading.

One of the oldest rules in Software Engineering book is "write one to throw away". Because the first one is where you learn what you actually want -- as opposed to what you thought you want before you started using it for real.

For a "one size fits both" answer I think @boulderjohn has it: ease of use.
Thanks, point taken. I was assuming that divers with a wide variety of experience would be answering this question, and would answer it from their point of view.

I have been diving computers since 2002 and have used 7 computers as primary or backup. I was easily able to answer the question from my viewpoint.

There have been votes in all of the 10 responses offered. Perhaps the most interesting is the "other" response, made up of one or a combination of ease of use, good/intuitive user interface, readable display, easily understandable, reliable, and good customer service.

I am confused: if it's reliable, why do you need customer service? And the follow-up question: if it doesn't work, why would you try to figure out how to use it?

Nothing is 100% reliable. So for those cases when there is a problem, or a *question* about how to use it, you want customer service that is both prompt and helpful.

Change the "and" to an "or" in the follow up question to make my intent clearer.

I remain of my opinion: the most impprtant thing is the screen readability.
If you cannot read the text and numbers, everything else becomes irrelevant...
This of course is not a problem for half of the people, who are miope, hence they can read small text from short distance.
But for the other half of people, who are ipermetrope, as me, almost 95% of computers are entirely useless..Only those with a very large and good quality screen are usable. At this point you can start looking at other features, such as ease of use, etc..

When I was first starting out, I wanted a cheap, simple, watch-style (because I didn't own a reg) computer. I bought a Cressi Leonardo, which fit that bill pretty well. A few things I came to dislike about it over time included its large size, the fact that it was difficult to read at night (partly because of the single button, which made it difficult to do the long press to light up the face without inadvertently changing the display), and the highly sensitive ascent alarm, which would beep from arm movements even when the rest of my body remained in place. It was also somewhat inconvenient to download dives using the cable, which was necessary to get the average depth in order to calculate RMV. Since the computer only stored data from 60 dives at a time, I ended up losing some.

I bought a Teric and a transmitter in January. I had my own gear by then (including a reg to attach the transmitter to), and was diving a lot more than I initially expected to. As a result, I was more willing to spend money, and more willing to deal with the hassle of recharging another battery. I liked the well-lit screen, the 4-button interface, and the extra functionality.

I still have the Leonardo and don't plan to sell it. It lives in my dive bag, a low-maintenance backup, which helps me feel less nervous about the possibility of forgetting to charge my Teic (I also still have an SPG.) So I marked "other."

Scubadada, I think this is an interesting thread. But, I think to improve the input, everyone should consider some basic assumptions. For example, I am going to assume none of us would knowingly buy:

- a poorly made product
- from a company with poor customer service
- a screen we can't see under water in all conditions

With the above assumptions out of the way, my primary consideration would be "ease of use - user interface"!

However, for me I would not buy a computer without AI. So, I would be choosing which AI computer to buy and the one with the simpler, most intuitive UI would earn my business.

Scubadada, I think this is an interesting thread. But, I think to improve the input, everyone should consider some basic assumptions. For example, I am going to assume none of us would knowingly buy:

- a poorly made product
- from a company with poor customer service
- a screen we can't see under water in all conditions

With the above assumptions out of the way, my primary consideration would be "ease of use - user interface"!

However, for me I would not buy a computer without AI. So, I would be choosing which AI computer to buy and the one with the simpler, most intuitive UI would earn my business.
Personally, I agree with your assumptions, apparently, not everyone does.

I forgot to mention, I dive with a Perdix AI With 2 transmitters and have no complaints.

Ok, so here are my 2¢.

When I started diving regularly a year ago loaned a computer from my dive club when needed.

When I went on a vacation I got a super cheap 100€ Leonardo just for thr NDL times, looking at it now, since all of the dives are guided, I didn't even need that since I have a bottom timer watch I always use.

I'm moving now more into night diving, deep diving and planing on going deco diving next year so I decided to do an upgrade.

And the main factor was support that doesn't rely on a dealer network. That there are no cables, especially no proprietary cables, and of course, price. Because 1200€ perdix is still a 1200€ expensive piece of kit.

I ended up with an OSTC Sport, which will fulfill my need completely no matter what I chosenin the future.

I can upgrade it to trimix. It's super intuitive and easy to read and use. Bluetooth connection which works with Subsurface, and as a software developer I know the joy of having a good open source support. No AI, but has the second best thing, you can input your SAC and the tank size and it will always display the bars needed for surface. Which is a good tool if you can't be fussed.

And the most important thing is you can find a lot of input on fixing 99% of the issues by yourself online.

So the list is:
1. Support/ability to fix it yourself
2. Independence from a dealer network
3. No proprietary ******** (a broken space/magic/super cable that you canty find to charge your computer can ruin your day), this goes for software too.
4. Long firmware support.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom