Single Cylinder vs. Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't dive singles. for me the question is wether to dive my 80s or my 104s. The determining factor there is usually depth, I dive the 80s down to about 190' and the 104s after that unless the dive is planned to be extremely long in which case I'll use the 104s at less than the usual depth.

If I were in a situation where only a single was available, in which case it would probably be an 80, I'd feel comfortable down to about 140 for brief excursions.

Tom

Principle: Don't take it if you don't need it.

Guideline: If you need doubles for redundancy & gas supply, or training... then use them. If you don't then don't.

Personal Application (other than training dives): We use LP104 singles with EAN32 for all dives to 100' (allowing for limited excursions below that depth.)

We use double LP104 with EAN32 for all deco dives (or other restricted access to the surface dives) <100' as well as for all dives that have helium mixtures.

Factors I would consider includes the following:

Recreational diving or technical diving - when I am diving within recreational limits, I don't see the point of bringing doubles. During technical dives... I've never dived technical without at least a doubles.

Penetration - depends again on depth and how extensive the penetration is. I agree with previous posts that during penetration dives, doubles may be recommended due to its redundancy.

Finally, I consider the need for redundancy. If it's required, then it's required. There is a thin line, though, dividing not necessary and recommended. In this case, I consider the people I am diving with. If they are certified and/or have experience using doubles, then why not. As much as possible, I would like to dive with basically the same equipment configuration as the rest of the group.

detroit diver once bubbled...
Do I get my pick of anything off the top shelf??=-)
For one correct answer? You gotta be kidding! :)

You have your choice of a Trident safety sausage, a several year old but unused cylume (no guarantee) or an SPG boot.

Or save your points for a better shelf :)

Roak

Most of my "fun" diving is caves and wrecks and I use doubles. I find that even when doing the occasional dive where they are not required I would rather use them. When teaching in shallow WARM water in a wet suit I will sometimes use a single tank just because it's easier to lug around. Even when using a single tank I use an H-valve and have the same reg setup as with the doubles.

Most all my dive would be considered technical, and i wear doubles. about 80% of my diving is between 200 - 400 feet

I use a single tank for teaching padi courses, or for doing tourist diving while on holidays

boomx5 once bubbled...
How deep will you dive with a single tank? And at what point will you wear doubles?
You're not going to get the simple answer you seek because there isn't one.

Roak

Back
Top Bottom