Singapore Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heya,

What camera are you using? Did you get it in Singapore? Do you know of good deals for UW housings and cameras? I use a Sony DSC-75 and as far as I know the Ikelite housings cost the price of a heart and liver! *ouch*

Probably cheaper to get a new camera and housing!

So you're diving in Aur this time, eh? Is that any better than doing it at Tioman?

yen once bubbled...
My budget for the DC is around $400.
Any suggestions for models around that price range?
Don't intend to spend as much as $1K for a DC since I'm not a very frequent diver. So far, could only afford about one dive trip every 2 months. Would rather spend any extra $$$ on more dive trips.

:)

I would opt for a Suunto moskito. I have used suunto's for years and find them very reliable and easy to read (despite small size). Currently using a stinger, however the draw back is although it does look very cool the batteries need a profesional to change them, the moskito does not and is also cheaper.

It comes with nitrox as standard and although nitrox divng maybe a few years away for you it will save you buying another computer later on. I dont dive nitrox myself but it is becoming more common.

The aladin's seem to work fine and many people use them, but they are huge, and next trip you are on look at them all lieing around after dives. Get a small suunto and you wear it all weekend no chance of losing it or leaving it behind. Have seen several divers realise after starting their dive that computer is still topsides!!!!!!!

Lastly the Suunto's are definitley the most conservative, both my GF and i use Suunto's and where deep dives and or extended dives over a number of days are concerned our computers are always the first to say go up, which isnt a bad thing. Computer softwear is still developing and each new generation of computers are a bit more conservative, better to be at the front of the pack where this is concerned.

I konw that it can breed a laziness and sometimes a lack of understanding of dive tables (to begin with I would always check my dive against tables even when diving on computer to monitor the difference) but i think a computer can be a good investment.
If you go divng away from your normal sites and buddies, many dive groups will insist on a computer and even if they don't you may find it difficult getting a buddy if everyone else on the boat has a computer, they won't want their bottom time dictated by your tables.

The middle dive shop (don't remember the name but its right by the spiral staircase) in the basement of lucky plaza has some good deals on Suunto's have bought mine from him, but not sure what current pricing on the moskitos are.

Yen - When comparing dive computers, be sure to check the Rodale's webiste(http://www2.scubadiving.com/gear/computers.shtml). They are as close to a "Consumer's Report" as dive equipment has. They tell you all the good and bad points but keep in mind that the prices quoted are what they sell for in the US. You have to translate those figures to S$ then deduct a hell of a lot because US stores charge so much (thank God for buying power in Asia!)

providing so much information. Thanks everyone!
The sunnto mosquito is definitely on the top of my list for dive comp. Its one of the few models that meets my basic needs and budget. Hopefully, I can get it under S$300 (which my friend did).
Every bit of money saved goes to future dive trips. :)

As for doing my AOW in a rush, I certainly don't feel that. I had only started thinking about it after I was sure I love diving. (It was not 'love at first dive' for me.) It was only after my Manado dive trip that I gradually got hooked to the feeling of weightlessness and breathtaking underwater life.

yen once bubbled...
Its one of the few models that meets my basic needs and budget. Hopefully, I can get it under S$300 (which my friend did).
Every bit of money saved goes to future dive trips. :)

Suunto mosquito for below $300? Really?? Where, how?? Share your 'lobang'

cheers.

... S$300 for the strap. The computer itself is extra.

Big shout out to all the divers from Singapore.

We just got back for a 22 dive adventure to Manado.

Great diving and a wide range of types of diving from Lembeh Straits black sand to under water volcano's to wrecks.

Lots to see, lots to photograph lots to eat and lots of tanks to drain.

=-)

just when my friends n I decided to cancel our 2 trip back to Manado!

How's the weather n vis?

Hiya everyone!!!

Great to see people from Singapore hanging ard here in this forum... I just got certified as a OW diver in May 2003 in Dayang... Great experience for me... luv it!!!

Next destination would be Pulau Tioman in Sept for my 2nd diving trip with a bunch of my friends...

Cheers,
geo

yen once bubbled...
just when my friends n I decided to cancel our 2 trip back to Manado!

How's the weather n vis?

Weather was great until the last day when it rained, the vis was pretty darn good as well.

The last day had fantastic vis but the storm clouds really cut down the light penetration.

Really nice to see frog fish, manadrin fish and tiny sea horse at least once in your life.

but that said Sipidan here I come, think I really like bigger stuff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom