Singapore Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a great question for a new thread. I have gone ahead and started one so please see my reply on the FISH ID thread.

Hiya!!!

I'll be taking my AOW on the 1st of Aug and wana get a dive comp before then. Since it's mostly Singapore divers in this thread, anyone can tell me where are the best place(s) to check out dive comps?
Recommendations for dive comp models are also very much welcome!

Two very basic question to your DC question :

a. Do you need Nitrox ability ?
b. Budget ?

DC can be as cheap as S$270 for a Oceanic to $1k + for those hoseless integrated (ie also linked to your 1st stage for gas reading).

My budget for the DC is around $400.
Any suggestions for models around that price range?
Don't intend to spend as much as $1K for a DC since I'm not a very frequent diver. So far, could only afford about one dive trip every 2 months. Would rather spend any extra $$$ on more dive trips.

:)

I have not been shopping for a computer for a while but here are my thoughts:

1. don't worry about getting the coolest looking or the smallest computer on the boat. I find the small ones hard to read (but, of course, i'm blind) and they are more coveted and easier to lose. The bigger ones like Aladin work just fine.
2. I am sure a computer integrated with your air would be useful but I never thought it useful enough to spend more for it.
3. get something with nitrox capabilities if you can afford it. You are much more likely to use nitrox in the next few years than needing a tiny James Bond model with the ability to use infrared downloading to PDA.

Zippsy is right about the look of a DC. Afterall, once u/w all are weightless and only used by yourself.

I would suggest that take a walk to the Concourse for a look see. There are 3 dive shop there, Oceanic / Scubapro / Wakki dive. There should be enough DC to occupy you for a while.

Personnaly, I am using a Aladin Pro. Was highly recommended by my instructor coz it is "Swiss made" and reliable. He had his for about 8 yrs (?). And still ticking for him. Only peeve about this, looks like a 20's cigarette pack on your wrist. As compared to the Suntos. BUT the reading is big & clear to me u/w. Just were I wanted it to be....

Where are you thinking of doing your AOW, yen? Tioman or something?

I'd recommend Perhentian or Tioman. They've got a good variety of adventure dives you can choose from. Wreck / Night / Drift / etc... There are a number of wrecks around the area.

I was at Tioman 2 weeks ago. Had great fun on a night and deep dive. Saw a wreck on my deep dive. Really awesome fun!

Have fun and all the best to you in getting the AOW!

managed to grab a good deal for AOW to Dayang with a local dive school. Had actually wanted to go Tioman initially.

The weather in Dayang wasn't that great. Overcast skies n rain so the vis was not good. But other than that, the dives was okay. We were supposed to do deep n wreck dives, but that changed to drift diving coz the current was too strong. Tho I was very nervous when descending due to the strong currents, I had fun drifting once I got to the bottom. All along, I've dreaded strong currents coz I'm not a strong swimmer. But not anymore after this dive. & it was quite funny, us huddling together at the bottom while each of us answer a question. Didn't regret missing the wreck dive since it wasn't much of a 'wreck' anyway. Just a boat sank purposely for training purpose. I only wished that we had gone deeper. Only went down to 25m. Wanted to know if I'll have narcosis if we went 30m or deeper.

Overall, the AOW definitely increased my confidence. Buoyancyy control also much much better now, especially after talking to the various instructors and DMs and trying out their suggestions during the dives.

Now, I can't wait to dive again! Tioman, Redang, Perhentian... Sipadan, Layang Layang, Sangalaki ... etc etc etc ... So many dive sites in asia alone, but so little time n money!

But before my next dive trip, I'll definitly get a dive comp.
Can't wait!

Heya Yen,

That is the main problem that plagues us CHRONIC divers. We all love to dive, and are always straddled with the same problems. It'd be great to integrate work and diving, eh? I'm looking towards that direction, really.

Which school in .sg didja go with? I happen to know some that regularly arrange dives to Dayang.

You know what? We in Asia are actually really blessed to have lotsa dive destinations. I'm definitely gonna do Thailand sometime around. I'm 2/5ths of my way to getting my AOW. Hope to get it by year end. You did yours in a jiffy, what with February OW and July AOW! You're hooked, aren't ya?

What dive 'puter are you looking at? Perhaps I can check prices here in Malaysia for ya.

Back
Top Bottom