http://www.diveheart.org/

Since we're in the donating mood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PETA employees were arrested last year for dumping animals in a mall trash can they killed.

Somewhere I read that PETA had euphanized something like 14,000 animals.

While the concept of peta was to stop animal abuse, for the most part they have turned into a bunch of quacks who seem to more enjoy gettingselves on TV by throwing paint on folks wearing fur coats. Sometimes it seems they are in it more to promote themselves than they are for actually doing something preventative. Even their preventative actions are whacky. In NC they had to enact a law to keep PETA people from harrasing local fishermen.

In my opinion, PETA has lost focus of it's cause.

If you want to help, see if your local animal shelter has a "friends of the animal shelter" associations. Your money stays local and is not wasted on non animal related purchases.

The best way to address the issue is to teach by example. Don't eat meat or use animal products. Educate those willing to listen. Use your influence to sway your representatives. Do what you can do.

mike_s:
PETA employees were arrested last year for dumping animals in a mall trash can they killed.

Somewhere I read that PETA had euphanized something like 14,000 animals.

While the concept of peta was to stop animal abuse, for the most part they have turned into a bunch of quacks who seem to more enjoy gettingselves on TV by throwing paint on folks wearing fur coats. Sometimes it seems they are in it more to promote themselves than they are for actually doing something preventative. Even their preventative actions are whacky. In NC they had to enact a law to keep PETA people from harrasing local fishermen.

In my opinion, PETA has lost focus of it's cause.

Which organisations would you support?

People, let's try to agree to one thing. If you want to crack Peta, go ahead. if they've earned your mistrust then they probably deserve what they get.....

but don't just leave it at being negative. Tell us what you think people *should* do if they want to make a difference.

R..

my wife and i work with a local shelter to neuter cats and try to place kittens in homes. we have also taken care of several hurt cats and put them back healthy, but not able to breed.

we've trapped and euthanized several cats who were carrying feline leuk and FIP
(feline inmonusomething parentoritis ?).

we donate to the local shelters that trap, neuter and release.

it's small, but it's local and we can see the difference.

Other than a local shelter than actually deals with helping animals, I do not have any org I can suggest. You see, I don't buy into the fundamental concept of these groups, which is that of "animal rights".

I do think animals should be treated humanely for the most part. However, there is a conflict at times. Animal research has done a lot to curing diseases & extending human life. Oftne this research is not what most would consider humane. if these groups get their way, we won't do any of it. Good luck researching cancer, or AIDS or any of the serious medical problems we face. if you're a diabetic living off insulin injections, you are alive due to such research as well as the use of animals to produce the insulin. At least one of the leaders of these large groups is diabetic. If she lived by her beliefs, she'd be dead long ago, yet she doesn't.

So no, in my case I can't recommend any of them. Perhaps someone else may.

Diver0001:
Which organisations would you support?

People, let's try to agree to one thing. If you want to crack Peta, go ahead. if they've earned your mistrust then they probably deserve what they get.....

but don't just leave it at being negative. Tell us what you think people *should* do if they want to make a difference.

R..

I think that my last comment I added (via edit) was done about the time you were replying. I'll paste it below

If you want to help, see if your local animal shelter has a "friends of the animal shelter" associations. Your money stays local and is not wasted on non animal related purchases.

I think that most people don't condone or support abusing animals. most folks are against it, even if they don't agree with the 'tatics' of PETA. Even most hunters and fishermen are conservationists and there are even many organizations made up of such.

I think the SPCA generally does very good work. They sponsor spay and neuter clinics, and run shelters and do humane euthanasia.

In our community, there are several animal rescue operations -- they are privately owned and operate on a shoestring. They provide a place for otherwise unwanted animals -- particularly livestock, which the shelters won't take. I think those operations are admirable. They are usually run by people who make significant sacrifices to do so.

We should cut the domestic cat free from our dominance by neutering, neutering, and more neutering, until our pathetic version of the cat ceases to exist."

-John Bryant, Fettered Kingdoms: An Examination of a Changing Ethic, PETA 1982, p.15.

I finally found something I like about PETA

petabuilding130.jpg

This is their waterfront headquarters in Ghent, an upscale section of Norfolk. It looks like they have enough money if they can afford this.

DennisS:
We should cut the domestic cat free from our dominance by neutering, neutering, and more neutering, until our pathetic version of the cat ceases to exist."

-John Bryant, Fettered Kingdoms: An Examination of a Changing Ethic, PETA 1982, p.15.

I finally found something I like about PETA

petabuilding130.jpg

This is their waterfront headquarters in Ghent, an upscale section of Norfolk. It looks like they have enough money if they can afford this.

According to a recent article in a Dutch newspaper, about 50% of all money donated to development aide goes up on overhead. In some countries it's higher than in others, with Portugal heading the pack at 82%. The US came in at about 67%--higher than the norm but they compensate somewhat by giving very generously.

Some organizations are also worse than others. Oxfam, The Red Cross and Unicef are only a few examples of oranisations that have been in the news from time to time for their penchant for excessive "wasting" of donated money. Last year alone, almost 20 billion [edited typo] dollars in international aide money was spent on "consultancy".

Peta isn't alone in this. I'm not trying to defend it because I think it's totally unacceptable in any context, but I want to put a little perspective on this. All of these organisations are highly "inefficient" but that isn't necessarily the same as being highly "ineffective".

R..

Diver0001:
<snip>

Perhaps you (and the other anti Peta folks) could suggest an organisation making progress on the issues that people would feel more comfortable supporting....

R..
I donate to the NRA and Wounded Veterans all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom