Simple Wet Suit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kvl1027

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am currently in the market for my first wetsuit, and i was trying some on the other day. I am 6'4" and about 245lbs. It seemd like i had the same problem in evey suit i tried. the problem i am having is getting the suit to fit tightly enough round my arms. The XXL fits great every where else but it seems that the arms are just too loose. The XL fits me great in the arms but it comes up a little short and is very tight and uncomfortable. I live in florida, so most of my dives will be in relatively warm water. I am looking to get a 3/2 because that is all i really need. Do you think i should just get the XXL and deal with having slightly loose arms? Is it really going to make that much of a difference as far as exposure is concerned to have loose arms? Any information about this will help me out greatly.

Have you tried the Henderson Hyperstretch?? There a bit more money than most - but due to their stretch, you would probably find a XL Hyperstretch would fit great.

If not getting that - I'd say the XXL is going to work out for you. A little baggy in the arms will not affect you that much. The thing to remember is the suit is supposed to stop flow of water - if it seals at the neck, lets, and wrists... there is really no place for water to flow in from - maybe a little more water than necessary will get by your arms - but your body will warm it up - then it stays in the suit - no problem.

If you were doing real cold diving - I'd be more critical on fit - but for a 3 mil - I think you'll be fine with the larger size - if you don't want to go custom, or hyperstretch.

scubatoys:
A little baggy in the arms will not affect you that much. The thing to remember is the suit is supposed to stop flow of water - if it seals at the neck, lets, and wrists... there is really no place for water to flow in from - maybe a little more water than necessary will get by your arms - but your body will warm it up - then it stays in the suit - no problem.
Assuming you are only going to dive warm water, the real problem you are are going to have will be air trapped in the suit. This will mess up your buoyancy at the start of each dive. Get it adjusted. I would have thought there in your region there would be plenty of places that repair & adjust wet suits.

I also suggest that you try a "hyerstretch" material. If that doesn't work, go custom with Liquid Fit

Happy diving,
SWT

Thanks for all of the Suggestions, but I forgot to mention that i am somewhat on a budget and asmuch as i would like the hyperstretch i cant afford it right now.
Do you think a custom wet suit shop would be able to alter a premanufactured wet suit?

It will be tough to seal arms that are very loose. Each time you move your arm it will act as a pump, flushing the warm water (heated by your body) out and then bringing in cooler water. This is not a good thing and it will cool you off.

Your options
1. find a suit that fits.
2. buy the XXL and find a shop that can tailor the sleeves to fit you.
3. Get a custom suit made to order
4. Wear a layer under the suit such as a Polartec skin to trap the water. I don't like this approach but some divers do use it.
5. Get a thicker suit so that cooling your arms won't be an issue in warm water diving. (I think this is a poor approach)

Ralph

kvl1027:
Do you think a custom wet suit shop would be able to alter a premanufactured wet suit?
Any LDS that has someone doing wetsuit repair can do that. Or you can learn to do it yourself. Ask the divers from your area where to go.

Ralph

We are looking at water right about 72deg.+ some people down here dive without a wetsuit at all, so I think i could hack it if a little water got in the arms, at least until i can afford something nicer. JUst out of curiosity how much does a custom wet suit usually run? And does anyone have a link to a good company that makes customs.

BTW: thanks for the help Rcohn

kvl1027:
Thanks for all of the Suggestions, but I forgot to mention that i am somewhat on a budget and asmuch as i would like the hyperstretch i cant afford it right now.

What about a two piece suit? Use an XL jaket over an XXL farmer john. With the combo you might even be able to buy a thinner suit.
Thinner material can fit better in the arms and legs but you still
have two layers over the torso.

The jacket and john need _not_ be the same brand of suit either allowing more options to find a good fit.

With a wet suit "fit" is the single most importent thing.

Too loose is always better than too tight. Either will make you colder, so might as well at least be comfy while you are cold.
Also, it's a lot easier to take a suit in a bit than let it out.

I think your choice is get the big suit, and have the arms adjusted (actually, you could do it yourself if you are good at that sort of thing), or get a custom suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom