Similans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tdog3261

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Planning a trip late nov to the similians. Looking for advice as to who to go with.....what boats... Also wondering about the trips. I have been told before to go for 4 days only becayse the other sites are not that great.

Advice?

Just wondering why this is posted in the PPD instead of in the Thai forum?

Me too...oh wait. :D

yeah......my mistake. I was reading all the phils stuff cuz that typically where I go. I have also posted there. Sorry for the bother.

Planning a trip late nov to the similians. Looking for advice as to who to go with.....what boats... Also wondering about the trips. I have been told before to go for 4 days only becayse the other sites are not that great.

Advice?

Dive sites are great :confused:

Tdog, the advice to do a 4 day trip is because many of the trips of less than 4 days do not visit the wonderful Richelieu Rock. There are a few 3-day trips that cover that area, but in general, if you want to get up there, you will most likely end up on a 4 day trip.

In terms of what boat, well there are literally dozens to choose from, so the question is essentially unanswerable until you define what you're looking for in a boat (though there will almost certainly be people who tell you they had a great experience on whatever boat they did their trip on). Factors that help narrow down the choices:
• Price
• Need for private bathroom
• Nitrox
There may be other factors as well, but answers to these big three make it possible to develop a shortlist of possibilities.

Dont know who told you that.
The Similans at the right time of year can offer some of the best diving in the world???
The sort of place you can never become bored of diving.

I highly recommend you to do at least a 4 day cruise (Similan Islands + Richelieu Rock itinerary) but if you have time and enough green you may want to book even a longer cruise that includes Hin Daeng and Hin Muang too or will venture into Myanmar's Mergui Archipelago.

What I think people are telling you is "Don't stay in Phuket and do day trips".

Ditto what Bowmouth said. There are quite a number of 6 day cruises, those are great. (I did three back to back . . . and like somebody said, never got tired of it).

For choosing a boat, a good bet is to find a booking agency, they have lists of boats and schedules, then you can ask them a million questions and they'll tell you which boat is right for you considering your criteria. I use John Williams at Siam Dive & Sail, but there are others.

Dive areas:

Right around Phuket the diving is so-so, depending on what you're used to. To the south are pinnacles Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, which can be spectacular. We had one day of so-so diving there, and then when I was back a week later, we had a solid day of closeup nonstop incredible manta encounters. This was in late November.

Phi Phi island also has decent diving, but not super spectacular.

The Similans are a chain a few hours north of Phuket. Actually, as you go out there, you first get to Koh Bon usually for one dive (known for Mantas, but not in November IIRC), then one dive at Koh Tachai (my favorite spot, a pinnacle with lots of fish life and can be strong currents), then you motor on out to the Similans for a few days, where there's alot of bathtub diving with prefect blue water, white sand, pretty fishies, pretty coral. Lots of life. Then, if you're on a GOOD trip, the highlight is to head out to Richilieu Rock, another pinnacle a bit past the Similans. Everybody pretty much agrees RR is world class. Tons of fish, cuttlefish, corals, sometimes whalesharks (people saw one my last cruise, late november), absolutely stunning site. Lovely.

So if you do a liveaboard there, make sure it's going to Richilieu.

Further north than that are the Surin islands. Some trips go there. Our couple of dives there were nice, but not that spectacular.

Further north than that is the Mergui Archipelego, in Burma, which is a whole nother thing, becuase there are only a few boats up there - when I went anyway it was very peaceful and serene (some of the dive sites in the Similans can get a little crowded). Lots and lots of fish. We had a whaleshark under the boat that I snorkeled with in my pajamas (couldn't be bothered to undress before leaping in - that was in January). Water in Burma is greener and more nutrient rich, when I was there the schools of fish were much larger. About the same number of large pelagics - i.e., not many - a few mantas here and there, very few sharks, except for fairly reliable sightings of nurse sharks under ledges at around 100'.

If you only have a week, I'd do a 6 day to the similans. If you have 8 or 9 days, I'd do a 6 day to similans plus a 3 day to Hin Daeng/ Hin Muang. If you have more time, I'd do Similans plus Burma. Similans and Burma are very different, however, so I wouldn't skip Similans to do Burma.

There's a bunch of posts on here about the different dive areas and boats. But like the person above said, you need to think of the following:

1. a/c versus no a/c (prolly not needed in late november)
2. private head v. shared.
3. Nitrox v. no.
4. "cushy" boat v. basic.
5. How many divers per boat - some really pack them in, some don't.
6. What areas you want to visit and for how long.
7. What nationality divers does the boat cater to.
8. How much you're willing to spend.

Answer those questions and the booking agent can point you toward the right boat for you.
Good luck and have fun!

In general your information is good for a non-resident. Just a few additions
What I think people are telling you is "Don't stay in Phuket and do day trips".
What I think so far people have been saying is: a liveaboard (preferably minimum 4 days/4 nights) is highly recommended over daytrips.

Right around Phuket the diving is so-so,
Don't agree with you there, there are some very nice divesites, with excellent chances of frogfish, different shark species, seahorses, ghostpipefish, lovely soft and hard corals, etc.

ctually, as you go out there, you first get to Koh Bon usually for one dive
Some trips start at Koh Bon, but normally boats start at the Similans. I don't know of any boat that first goes to Tachai and after that to Richelieu Rock, that makes no sense at all.

Lots and lots of fish.
In Burma: really hit and miss, with lately, because of dynamite fishing, too many misses IMO. I would not recommend to go there at the moment because of the quality of the diving compared to the costs, let alone the political issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom