Similans Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reefwalker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Looking for some feedback on liveaboards leaving from Phuket to the Similan Islands. We've looked at most of the boats on the net and it seems that most go to the Similans and then on to the Surins and Richelieu Rock etc. Are their any boats that concentrate on the Similans, we're looking for boats with roomy cabins, preferably double bed rather than 2 singles and cater for experienced divers/photographers.
Regards - Reefwalker:wink:

From my own experience Richelieu Rock is simply the best site in the area - I would not consider going on a Sims trip unless Koh Bon/Tachai (en route) and Richelieu are included. Especially if you are intent on using a camera - Richelieu is a MUST.

You can find many operators who offer a "cheaper" trip, normally 3/4 instead of 4/5 - they offer the saving because they are not using the fuel required to get to Richelieu.

It is quite impossible to recommend boats without knowing what "class" of accomodation you will want - the whole gamut is available from 300 US to 1000+ US for a 4/5. If you want "roomy" then just check out the operators in the 700 US plus category.

No one operator is better than another - its all price relative.

CMDA

Where did you get that cynical attitude.

Richelieu is without doubt the best dive site I have been to in Thailand.

For all kinds of creatures , not just the big stuff.

Why do you want to concentrate on Similans.

I think on most boats you can reserve a cabin with a double bed , so lond as you tell them in advance.

CMDA is probably right , you get what you pay for.

One thing to look for is to make sure that each cabin has individual air con units. If not you may find yourself in a cabin with inadequate Air con which can make a room impossibly humid. The last trip I went on had this problem and in the end I did not sleep one night in my cabin but on the deck instead.

Cheers

As an Instructor living here, I agree with the others.

Richelieu is a great dive site.

As for a boat, well there are now so many here that it's hit and miss if you look for a boat on the web. Some good boats may not (yet) have a well ranked web site, so you are unlikely to see them.

Prices for a "roomy" cabin, experienced boat, cabins with individual air con and bathroom vary. Try the Similan 2 or 3 on my site. These are both around 650-700 US for 4 days. Other more expensive boats are available!

For general interest, about the cheapest you can get (unless you want to sleep on deck) with nice cabins and air con, is about 100 US per day.

Hope y'all have a good trip to Thailand

Sunrise Divers - Thailand Liveaboard Diving

I've already got something in the pipeline Sunrise but if it falls through (real hassle get flights from Japan at the end of December) I may be in touch....

Welcome to the board by the way!

Jonathan

Thanks for the message, Jonathan.

I heard the problem with flights from another guy in Japan. He has had to get a flight to Malaysia, and from there to Thailand. Too many Japanese "tourists" and not any space for divers!

Try every which way to get here. The Similan Islands and Richelieu Rock, and Surin islands are great. I was offered a job in the Maldives a couple of years ago, but I couldn't tear myself away from here. Dive heaven.

Happy travels

Sunrise Divers - Phuket Scuba Diving

Thanks for your replies, I am sure that Richelieu Rock is a top spot, but does entail more travelling. We were hoping to be able to dive, relax, visit the islands etc. not just travelling and diving. It seems from the web that most boats go further north than the Similans, I can only find Scuba Cat that is located at the Similans, but there boat looks pretty basic, we were hoping for just a little luxury.
Regards
Reefwalker:confused:

Reefwalker, there are some very nice boats. www.scandinavian-divers.com has a brand new spacy one with showers in each double, the 'June Hong Chian Lee' is a beautiful boat (and nice I have heard), M/V Colona VI should also be nice.

Richelieu is a great dive site, not that far away from the Similans.

Me and my wife will spend 2 weeks in the Similans over Xmas and New Year:)

hey me too! Leaving chilly Japan (where did all that cold wind come from all of a sudden) on 21st Dec back on 7th Jan - yeee haa!

Jonathan

Back
Top Bottom