SIM card for data?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

specorelli

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all
I will be traveling with my family to August Resort (Raja Ampat) in March.

I was wondering if there would be a point in getting a SIM card to have data connection while in Indonesia. Not sure if it will have coverage in Raja Ampat.

Any suggestions about where to buy it in the Jakarta airport?
Any tips in general about this?

Thanks in advance!

From stayrajaampat.com :
"Telkomsel is currently the only network provider in Raja Ampat, so if you want to use the mobile network without roaming charges, you’ll need a Telkomsel SIM for your phone. Telkomsel markets a variety of SIMs, but the most common prepaid ones are branded SIMPATI and HALO. HALO is data only. Signal strength is excellent in the areas around Sorong and Waisai. As a general rule, if you’re near a village you should be able to receive some kind of signal, but there are wide areas with no coverage at all."
SIM cards like those are very cheap (few bucks for several gigabytes over a month or so) but to be sure I'd ask the resort you are staying whether they have coverage or not.

From stayrajaampat.com :
"Telkomsel is currently the only network provider in Raja Ampat, so if you want to use the mobile network without roaming charges, you’ll need a Telkomsel SIM for your phone. Telkomsel markets a variety of SIMs, but the most common prepaid ones are branded SIMPATI and HALO. HALO is data only. Signal strength is excellent in the areas around Sorong and Waisai. As a general rule, if you’re near a village you should be able to receive some kind of signal, but there are wide areas with no coverage at all."
SIM cards like those are very cheap (few bucks for several gigabytes over a month or so) but to be sure I'd ask the resort you are staying whether they have coverage or not.

Thanks a lot. This is very helpful!
Do you know if it ispossible to acquire these SIM cards at the airport in Jakarta?

Not sure if you can buy them at the AirPort itself. We are leaving this sunday for lembongan and Bali so my gf did some research, for around 200k you have 4gb data. Make sure you have your passport with you if you go to a store.

Thanks a lot. This is very helpful!
Do you know if it ispossible to acquire these SIM cards at the airport in Jakarta?

I have. Make sure you have them set it up for you, I didn't once and it took a few of my dive guides to get it up and running.

kiosk inside the terminal had a markup compared to the shops just outside.

i opted to get a 100k idr package that included the sim and 2gb of data. the included data has gone up slightly on that plan since last year i believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom