Silly Q: food

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squarepants

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What type of food is the native fare on Utila, and Roatan? Will I find guacamole and tortillas, or is that pretty much a MX thing? I'm not sure what Caribbean food is exactly. Probably lots of grill, and tropical fruit, but does the Mexican cuisine from the north make it's way down to Honduras?

:bananalama::bananalama::bananalama:

Hey there squarepants....

You can get baleadas which consist of flour tortillas with beans and cheese. You can get them with scrambled egg, ground beef, or chicken. That is among the cheapest things you can buy. Another thing you will find all over the place is stew chicken or stew beef. Those plates are usually served with rice, beans, and plantain. Seafood is also something readily accessible (i.e. whole fried fish). You can get that grilled, cooked in coconut batter and blackened.

There are places like Cannibal Cafe who serve Mexican style food. Actually, if you can eat three of their burritos the whole meal is free. Don't count on small ones though.

On Roatan we have places that range from the local stuff to Thai. West End has many restaurants. It all depends on what your mood is for the night.

Best wishes,

-marco

The trick, though, will be finding Casaba Bread.

Yummy.

good topic! I know the area has seafood and tropical fruits, but what other local favorites?

Not that I am a picky eater, but is it possible to eat vegetarian at Cocoview? I am not a strict veg, but I do prefer to stick to it if possible (I just feel better). I do eat fish, eggs, and some cheese regularly, but if I can avoid red meat I would prefer it (although sometimes after a long day of diving, a good cheeseburger really hits the spot!) So I am asking, are there enough fruits, veggies, beans, rice and pasta to subsist on?

robin
Cocoview in Nov!

I can speak for Cocoview, but at AKR, we had at least two meal options at every meal. Any of the breakfast items we get in the states plus an honduran breakfast with plantains was available every morning. Lots of fruit.

Lunch & dinner usually had soup & salad, a seafood dish or a chicken/beef/pork option.

good topic! I know the area has seafood and tropical fruits, but what other local favorites?

Not that I am a picky eater, but is it possible to eat vegetarian at Cocoview? I am not a strict veg, but I do prefer to stick to it if possible (I just feel better). I do eat fish, eggs, and some cheese regularly, but if I can avoid red meat I would prefer it (although sometimes after a long day of diving, a good cheeseburger really hits the spot!) So I am asking, are there enough fruits, veggies, beans, rice and pasta to subsist on?

robin
Cocoview in Nov!

Yes Robin there will be enough fruit and veggies ...I do not eat much seafood...a little shrimp sometimes and I don't eat much meat....they can accomodate you... let the ladies know up front if you don't see what you want ask Ollie or Rebecca I bet they can find you something you will like......but at meal times there are plenty of choices....sometimes I just have the blackbeans and rice and tortillas and a salad plus some fruit and I was a full and happy camper and the homemade bread is to die for.....they serve steak and lobster on Friday night and I do eat the yummy steak...and on Thursday it is Thanksgiving with turkey etc.... ok I am hungry now...:D

Yes Robin there will be enough fruit and veggies ...I do not eat much seafood...a little shrimp sometimes and I don't eat much meat....they can accomodate you... let the ladies know up front if you don't see what you want ask Ollie or Rebecca I bet they can find you something you will like......but at meal times there are plenty of choices....sometimes I just have the blackbeans and rice and tortillas and a salad plus some fruit and I was a full and happy camper and the homemade bread is to die for.....they serve steak and lobster on Friday night and I do eat the yummy steak...and on Thursday it is Thanksgiving with turkey etc.... ok I am hungry now...:D

thanks, that sounds perfect. :D

Back
Top Bottom