Silly log book dilemma - help please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

airmonkey

Registered
Reaction score
At about 100 or so dives I started to notice that my log was getting a bit full (the generic 3 ring padi binder) and since then it's getting to the stage were pages are ripping etc...

I wasn't sure whether to just take some log pages from my early dives out or have a general clean up and just keep memorable/learning curve dives in the log binder? Also I'm off doing some courses soon and my dive log will probably be looked at so should I take the ejected pages with me still?

Stupid question I know but any answers greatly apreciated!

I have a zippered binder. So, I just keep rotating the older dive log sheets out and store them, making room for new ones.

What ever works for you.....

I do the same as ABQ. I guess I have about 20 to 30 pages of logged dives - that would represent my last 60 or so dives.

the K

Options:

1.You can transfer the older pages to a log register and store that into your log book. Any dive that has a learning point on it just transfer that information to a lessons learned section and put that in you book. This will really minimize the paper you have in your book. You could even just continue with the register from this point forward.

2. Just remove the old pages and put them away in another binder and call that binder Volume 1. Could do the same by just placing the log info onto a CD and then carry that with you in your current log.

Start volume 2. When you fill one book, start another. If you are worried someone may want to see more dives than you have in your current book, take the previous volume with you. I have multiple volumes, but have reduced them some by using a lined record book as my log. Some pages have more than one dive (of course some dives run several pages, but they are the exception, not the rule) which means a book lasts a bit longer than traditional log books. These record books also have more pages than most logs.

Nowadays I keep separate files by dive site region. It's much more useful. So when I travel I have just the dives I did in that area together with maps, site descriptions etc.

I keep about 50 pages in the log section of my logbook - with enough of those being blank to cover the current trip - so if I'm going for a week in Bonaire, for example, I'll only have about the last 20 logged dives in there and 30 blank pages at the beginning of the trip, while for most weekend trips I have about the last 40 logged dives in there.
If you want a quick and easy way to validate the number of dives you have, you can get a "Century Diver" or a "Gold 500 Diver" or a "Platinum 1000 Diver" card from SSI when you have logged 100, 500, or 1,000 dives, respectively. Your agency of certification doesn't matter, as long as you have the logged dives (witnessed, of course) SSI will sell you the card as a recognition of those logged dives.
Also, if you take any SSI course and get a "C" card from them, SSI puts the number of logged dives you have at the time right on the "C" card. Very convenient when an operator wants to know how many dives you have. If the card is an Advanced Diver or Master Diver card it will also list the specialties you have right on the card. It's a nice combination that can come close to the logbook in giving a snapshot of your diving experience, and keeps most any operator happy.
Of course only a proper logbook can witness to the nature of all your non-training dives and give a good picture of your real experience.
Rick

But then my log book does double duty as my Day-Runner so I can't keep as many pages in it as I'd like.

the K

I keep the last 30 dives or so in my log book. As someone else mentioned, burn a copy to a CD if you have a downloadable computer and carry the CD with you. When you have 900 dives, carrying all the binders with you just isn't feasible. On the CD, I can search by the location and only those dives come up. If you don't have a computer that is downloadable, I would just keep the last 60 dives or so. They shouldn't need any more than that. You could carry that log and maybe the previous logbook that has 100 dives or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom