Silicone neck seal sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravisD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have data on the difference between a 'standard' Waterproof silicone neck seal, and the 'small' variant? I bid on a 'small' by accident, and ended up winning it for a good price. :dork2: I currently use a standard SiTech neck seal, and I have yet to cut any rings off of it. It felt a little tight on the first 1-2 dives, but has been comfortable enough since.

I'm thinking that the 'small' will be an OK backup at the least. If I end up diving it, would cutting a couple rings off of it effectively make it into a "regular" size seal? I haven't been able to Google up any type of sizing info so far to tell me what ranges they intend to cover.

Thanks!

Hi Travis - I dive a silicone neck seal which was until a few weeks ago the one fitted as standard on my Waterproof D1 - I had to change the neck seal before a dive a couple of weeks ago because I tore the one fitted (my fault). It was dead easy to change on site, and I didn't even completely take the suit off, I have a fairly thick neck (from weightlifting) and had trimmed the original seal because it was tight, and the new one was easy to trim because the 'new' one also felt a bit tight. I have never noticed there was a difference in size when I have bought spares.

I think I would be inclined to try it without fitting it to the suit, to see how tight it is, and if it isn't too bad I would either trim it in advance or make sure I have small scissors in my dive kit. - Phil.

I used an uncut "large" for a long time until it became stretched out. Now I use a cut "small" which it is starting to stretch out. You should be fine.

Thanks, guys. I forgot at first that I can try it on sans suit to check fit and see how it fits, and trim if needed. Worst case, my wife has been drysuit curious lately and perhaps she'll need one. :)

I trimmed my first couple of silicone neck seals to fit. I was then told by the vendor who put the SiTech ring system in that I was not supposed to cut it. I have two dry suits at this moment, both with silicone neck seals. One was cut to fit. The other was not cut at all. They both work fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom