Silicone grease to doff tight fins from a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wKkaY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a drysuit with built-in boots and the XL jetfins. The fins are great in the water, but I have difficulty doffing them. The XXL jetfins are slightly too large and I'd rather not change fins.

I read about applying silicone grease or spray to the fin foot pocket to make it easier to doff, but I also read that silicone grease can compromise the drysuit fabric.

If I want to use this method, what precautions should I take?

You could drill holes in the foot pockets @ the toes to obviate the vacuum.

Last edited:
You could drill holes in the foot pockets @ the toes to obviate the vacuum.
Good point! I remember liking that my jets held water. I would use the water I carried in them to rinse stuff off with at the truck. :D

Do you have to reapply the silicon spray between dives?

I used to use Crisco on my fins for a few dives. A couple of years ago Scubapro changed the size of the foot pockets on the Jetfins. The XXL fins are now slightly larger than the old XL fins. I now have to use XXL. Check you LDS for the new models and bring your drysuit with you.

Thanks for the input, I'll try the silicone or teflon spray depending which one I come across first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom