Silicone grease removal from clothes and bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lekima

Reaction score
On a trip this past week I had a container of silicone grease open in my Northface backpack (brand new, first time using it). Luckily it was in the top flap pocket so only the flap and 2 items (clothes) were affected. I tried a few different ways to get it of while on the road (lemon juice, hot water, I rubbed off as much as I could with a cloth), but there is still a lot on the items (at least they are really waterproof now). Any ideas how I can get this stuff off? Thanks in advance.

Try Dawn dish washing soap. Use it straight. We use it to get the bunker oil off of our drysuits and diving gear after diving wrecks. It takes some working but stay at it. You know it's gentle if they use it on animals to get off crude oil.

Little-used fact of chemistry. Petroleum-based products will dissolve with alcohol. Water-based products will dissolve with alcohol. I sometimes use alcohol to start a clean-up and finish with soapy water. If this 'silicone' grease is petro based this could work.

DC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom