Silicone Grease Part II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

radagalf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hmmm.... guess I wasn't clear enough before. I am looking for grease to put on my dive knife, to keep the rust from beginning on it... hence the fact I want cheap grease. I wish I knew how to repair regs and stuff, but hopefully in a couple years when I can afford it... after Uni is done.. :D .

Hope you can help me...

BTW: the axle grease was an example, I would never use that on dive equipment... and I hope that NO ONE ever would think of putting that in a reg!!!

:jester:

Now that you've done so, here's my advice. Buy an aerosol can of silicone spray at your dive shop or mail order. A couple of quick sprays is all it takes to coat a knife and the can should last a long time. Mine has. You only ned to do it occasionally. Be careful with the spray that you don't get any on anything that you don't want silicone on. The advice against "axle" grease was oriented toward any petroleum based lubricant which can attack natural and artificial rubber components which seem to be ubiquitous in SCUBA for some reason. Good luck! Moxie

I use the silicone grease you can buy in the little1 or 4 oz containers from the LDS. It's food grade and I also use it on my mask skirt when I haven't shaved for a day or two, it helps the seal. I use the spray stuff on just about every thing else though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom