Silicone dry suit seals -- how to prep for easing donning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the neck seal, I pinch it closed over the talc bag, than shake rattle and roll. A little bit goes a long way. If you have talc spilling all over you, you're probably using too much. It looks like a thin film on the silicone (or latex) when you've got the right amount applied. That tiny bag you see in the video should last for at least 25 applications.

Dave

With the neck seal, I pinch it closed over the talc bag, than shake rattle and roll.

I really appreciate the detailed tips, along with (another thing I was wondering) how far to expect a given batch of talc to go. Your method looks the most appealing of anything else I've seen or read, for efficient use of both time and talc. After I watched your video, I clicked the link for this one and now still can't figure out what possible use there is to purposely putting talc all over the outside of the seals:

[video=youtube;2KcSBO0jYy4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KcSBO0jYy4[/video]

I think that in general, personal taste is a big determinant of which way one ultimately chooses to go. I often noticed with my latex seals that just after I'd treated them with Seal Saver (since someone mentioned silicone a few posts back), I could feel the extra glide on the seals as I put them on. I didn't especially like the slimy-ish feel of it, though I appreciated the seals going on easier.

Now that I'm reassured that talc won't turn into paste and I have a good technique to try, I think I'm going to be pretty happy with talc. Thanks so much! :)

Food grade silicone is healthy for the seals on your suit, that's what I've always used. It slides right on if you coat it with silicone.
I'm no expert but my understanding is that silicone spray on silicone can make the material swell and damage it. I use what DUI recommend, which is a dilute soap solution in a spray bottle. 10 parts water to 1 part soap.

I use corn starch on my latex seals because I have a talc allergy. I tried KY, as I have about two cases from when I had my own clinic. It didn't seem to work as well.
I haven't ever had any sticky mess but I do have a hard time getting the corn starch where it belongs and not all over everything. It seems to be gone when I come up from a dive, except the stuff dusted on the bag, our tarp and everything else that didn't go on the dive.
My husband doesn't have this problem so it's just me. :dork2:

I haven't ever had any sticky mess but I do have a hard time getting the corn starch where it belongs and not all over everything. It seems to be gone when I come up from a dive, except the stuff dusted on the bag, our tarp and everything else that didn't go on the dive.

:rofl3: But for the slick bag trick shown in the first video in this thread, I'm sure that would be me, too. I'm actually feeling pretty confident about it at this point. :)

I use corn starch on my latex seals because I have a talc allergy. I tried KY, as I have about two cases from when I had my own clinic. It didn't seem to work as well.
My husband doesn't have this problem so it's just me. :dork2:
Wanna sell a case of that lube? I use it for my latex seals.

I think putting talc on the outside of the seals is to "preserve" the latex. I've had other divers tell me that skin oil, ozone, cosmic rays, etc can harm the seal. I'm not saying it does or doesn't, I'm just saying other divers have told me it does.

When I dove latex they would sometimes get gummy. To combat that I talc'ed them pretty heavy to absorb the oils. That means both sides of the seals. With silicon it is only used to get the seals on, so I only put it on the inside.

I know this is an old thread. Where can I find talc locally? I've been to CVS, Walgreens and even medical supply shop. What about the bag to put it in? TIA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom