Signs you may be a regaholic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CycleCat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
It's not me. I'm asking for a friend.

Let's say there are two certified divers in the house. Considering all the options and configurations out there, how many complete, assembled reg sets would be too many and indicative of, say, a form of mental illness? Hypothetically, each could have a yoke set, a DIN set, maybe a long hose set, at least one diaphragm and one piston 1st stage. Each of these sets would be complete.... 1st stage, two 2nds, an SPG and inflator. How many is too many? Six? Eight? Or is higher possible without need for intervention and counseling?

I, uhhh, my friend just got another set in the mail today and I'm wondering if he has a problem. By the way, Scuba board classifieds is a temptation for a regaholic the same as living in an apartment over a bar for an alcoholic.

It's not me. I'm asking for a friend.

Let's say there are two certified divers in the house. Considering all the options and configurations out there, how many complete, assembled reg sets would be too many and indicative of, say, a form of mental illness? Hypothetically, each could have a yoke set, a DIN set, maybe a long hose set, at least one diaphragm and one piston 1st stage. Each of these sets would be complete.... 1st stage, two 2nds, an SPG and inflator. How many is too many? Six? Eight? Or is higher possible without need for intervention and counseling?

I, uhhh, my friend just got another set in the mail today and I'm wondering if he has a problem. By the way, Scuba board classifieds is a temptation for a regaholic the same as living in an apartment over a bar for an alcoholic.

Riffing from a different forum where people accumulate numbers of substantially similar items; there are two schools of thought on that -

1) OMG he’s insane
2) Those are rookie numbers, bump it up.

Editing to add what often goes along with 1 -
"Nobody needs that many ..."
And there you go again - confusing "need" with "want".

N+1 where N is the current number of regulators you, uh, I mean your "friend" shall I say, have :rofl3:.

I have reduced my inventory from dozens and dozens to about a single dozen functional regulators that I will actually use, plus a half dozen DH regulators which I just have difficulty letting go. Now I am working through fins and masks and other stuff and oh, yeah, a Conshelf, Legend and maybe a Titan LX I need to say bye to but just cannot seem to let go of. But need to.

I have reduced my inventory from dozens and dozens to about a single dozen functional regulators that I will actually use...

This makes me feel better and have room to still add a few more. I'll tell my friend.

There are two certified divers in our house. Of which, one is certifiable.

We have two first stages for doubles, plus two first stages for deco bottles. So eight tech first stages each with a second stage.

We have a yoke travel first stage add recently added a DIN travel first stage. So four travel first stages and four travel second stages.

Why yoke and DIN travel stages? Cause I got a good deal on them and I am too lazy to swap the yoke to DIN (I have parts for both).

So that makes for an even dozen that are all the same brand (Atomic). Plus a DH and well one more that lives in the garage for filling tires.

As a self admitted regaholic (and proud of it!) I stand by the saying “If you know how many reg sets you have, then you don’t have enough”.
Applies equally to guns, regs, tanks, radios, tools, etc...

Two certified divers in my house. Between them 60+ regulators, almost all in working order excluding some impossible to get parts for brands like Rose Aviation and GSD. However, one of the two divers only has a single set: AL Legend; while the other, well, I don't like to speak ill of addicts, I mean an addict can't help it, right?

When I get the itch, I remind myself that each new stage, is going to cost me around $50 to service now. (And I already have 10; stages that is.)

When I get the itch, I remind myself that each new stage, is going to cost me around $50 to service now. (And I already have 10; stages that is.)
And that's when you take @rsingler 's excellent regulator tech training so you can service your own regs, and "afford" to keep buying regs...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom