Significantly negative regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've not noticed comfort differences between different 2nd stage regulator weights underwater when using the same hoses and mouthpieces. I've not done horribly long dives where gradual fatigue might be an issue (5hrs max).

Any regs you have switched away from due to discomfort because they are too heavy? How important is weight for you?

Just realized from another thread that's a design aspect of a reg I've never considered when discussing regs with others... Help me fill in a knowledge gap of mine?

Regards,
Cameron

Last edited:
I didn't realize that there was all that variation in regulator buoyancy. I assumed they would all be fairly similar (different designs like kraken or a FFM notwithstanding). I'm surprised to hear there is a significant difference as well.

The only time I've ever noticed weight was when using a CA swivel adapter with a 40" hose. FWIW I/I've use/used G260/G250/XTX/Conshelf 14/156/D series. I do think using a 40" may make more difference than a 7 or 5' hose though.

The sp pilot might be the front runner as it is quite heavy from the metal casing and has a smaller internal volume than a conshelf 14 or 109/156 to provide offsetting positive buoyancy.

It can be difficult to measure the weight of second stages because the weight that matters is submerged (accounting for displacement). In general, older metal-body unbalanced second stages have greater volume than many (most?) plastic-body balanced second stages on the market now. It is very difficult for me to tell the difference in the weight between any of them in my mouth and underwater.

Another aspect to consider is profile. The smaller the profile the less resistance when moving through water. That resistance pushes the reg around. But as said above the mouth piece is probably the most important.

mouthpiece and swivels matter much more to me. I have omni's on all of my regulators and with the exception of a couple Poseidons, the Apeks Comfobite on them all. The combo of those two things make the regulators much more comfortable for me since I have TMJ. Weight never really factors in because the comfobites hold the weight from the back of your front teeth, and the hoses behind your neck take up the weight of the hose

mouthpiece and swivels matter much more to me. I have omni's on all of my regulators and with the exception of a couple Poseidons, the Apeks Comfobite on them all. The combo of those two things make the regulators much more comfortable for me since I have TMJ. Weight never really factors in because the comfobites hold the weight from the back of your front teeth, and the hoses behind your neck take up the weight of the hose

@tbone1004 , you have omnis AND long hoses at the same time? I thought that if you had long hose, there was no need for omnis. Or are both even better?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom