Signed up for DIR-F...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm around 5'10" and 200 lbs, recreational single tank, can light. I use a 6' hose. The 5' hose would definitely be too small with the can light. I think the 6' hose is perfect and wouldn't trade it for a 7' hose on this rig.

El Orans:
1. About 5'11"
2. Recreational
3. No, am thinking about a harness pocket to store spool, spare mask, SMB etc. Could be used to store the extra hose length.

Laurens

I've never used the harness pocket, but if it works like the cannister then you can easily go with a 7 foot hose. Or tuck it in your waist belt.

With recreational aspirations, you don't need the 7 foot.

Buy the one you think you might like, and ask your instuctor to bring the other. Then try it out. There's no substitute for actual experience.

Enjoy the class!

Hey El Orans,

Enjoy the DIR-F class. I have not talked to a person who said that it was not one of the most useful class they have ever taken. When it comes to the 5-7 foot hose, I guess the best method is to try both of them out. However, I too am a realist and realize that that would be expensive and time consuming. Therefore, you might want to consider the type of diving you will be doing. Most divers I have talked to say they like the 7 foot hose on a double setup, and a 5 foot hose on a single setup. However, I started out with a 7 foot hose setup on my doubles when I converted over to DIR and refuse to use anything shorter for single tank diving too. I guess it is a comfort thing, but again, that is up to the particular person. Another point of consideration is your size. I am 6'2" and 200 pounds (proportional I guess you could say :dazzler1: ) and the 7 foot hose fits me perfectly. I hope this helps.

I'm 6' tall and weight between 200 and 205 lbs (depending on what I had for lunch :D ) and have been very happy with the 7' hose using a single AL 80 without the can light.

I've "simulated" the 5 foot hose by holding the 7' hose at about the 5' spot in front of my face when breathing off my bungied backup and didn't really like it as much. I know that's not very "scientific" and even a bit "Micky Mouse", but thought I'd toss it out there.

Hope it helps.

Christian

detroit diver:
I've never used the harness pocket, but if it works like the cannister then you can easily go with a 7 foot hose.
I got the 30 lbs Halcyon Eclipse today with the Uwatec gauge. Changed my very cheap octopus (Rydec) for my former primary. Got a new primary as well (Apeks ATX50) on a 7' hose. When I tried it on (routed beneath my harness pocket) it didn't seem too long.

Now all I have to do is wait till sunday to take it for a spin... :dazzler1:

Laurens

Ok... I'm getting nervous since my DIRF class is coming up this weekend. No one from the first batch (last weekend) passed. :O

I'm freaked about the 50 yard breath-hold swim and the 300 yard swim, since this is over-all endurance. The skills... well, can't really do anything about that now... so if I suck.. I suck.

How does it go? What happens if you fail... or get a provisional rating? When do you get to take the test again?

jplacson:
I'm freaked about the 50 yard breath-hold swim and the 300 yard swim, since this is over-all endurance. The skills... well, can't really do anything about that now... so if I suck.. I suck.
Don't worry about it. On my first try I got 60 yards and the 300 yards swim was done in about 11 minutes. You'll do fine.

Laurens

What would be better/more useful for DIR-F: a Halcyon lift bag (SCC 60) or a Halcyon Semi-Closed Alert Marker (3.8’ long, 20 lbs lift)?

The lift bag was recommended to me but I'm not sure. Advice please.

Laurens

El Orans:
Don't worry about it. On my first try I got 60 yards and the 300 yards swim was done in about 11 minutes. You'll do fine.

Laurens

It's 50 FEET (15 meters) for the breath hold. 60 yards... now THAT would be impressive! LOL :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom