DIR-F: March 10-11, erm, March 9-11: Part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just one quick response to CarribeanDiver comments:

While I thought my course was awesome, was challenged, and it took my diving to the next level, I couldn't helped from feeling like I was being nickel and dimed over every little aspect. Sure money is not really the issue, because the old saying is, "If you can't afford to do dive safely, then don't," is totally valid, I really did not expect to spend a couple hundred extra dollars on miscellaneous charges. I would rather have been given a total amount for the class, all the pool fees, lake fees, and gas/air fees. Then I would have looked at it and said, "Well, that will be an expensive weekend of diving," but at least I would have now had the proper budget in mind for the class.

-Michael

What dive classes have you all been exposed to that didn't require all the "nickel and dime" charges?

Every class I've taken has required me to pay for my gas fills.
Every class I've taken has required me to pay site entry fees.
Every class I've taken has required me to buy a manual.

Jason B:
What dive classes have you all been exposed to that didn't require all the "nickel and dime" charges?

Every class I've taken has required me to pay for my gas fills.
Every class I've taken has required me to pay site entry fees.
Every class I've taken has required me to buy a manual.

This is why I do not post often....

I was not stating the class was a rip-off, I was simply stating that I can see where one could feel nickel and dimed. Actually, all my classes except for GUE-F, told me up front of additional fees, gear rental, books, etc....Also, I purchased my book and workbook prior to class as well, and still spent a couple hundred dolllars more.

marusso:
This is why I do not post often....

I was not stating the class was a rip-off, I was simply stating that I can see where one could feel nickel and dimed. Actually, all my classes except for GUE-F, told me up front of additional fees, gear rental, books, etc....Also, I purchased my book and workbook prior to class as well, and still spent a couple hundred dolllars more.

I do agree that this can be the biggest problem with GUE -- sometimes the upfront information and administration can be a bit lacking.

However, also take into account that if the instructor is coming to you to train, then they may not know exactly how much the fees will be (or even what things will need to be paid for) so it's hard to get an overall list ahead of time.

of course, if you are traveling to the instructor's home base, then they should be able to tell you those things upfront

Carribeandiver:
as I stated earlier, everyone indicated Mark is a good instructor. Everyone can have a bad day and maybe I didnt see his best effort. I do know that replying to my emails with questions regarding required gear and course syllabus' with links to GUE site was not what I expected nor should be provided by a professional "good" instructor.
amascuba, again, the instructor had no expenses, we had no pool training, I did my swims in a health club pool and paid $10 to enter as a guest, I was there 15 minutes to do the underwater swim and laps.
I am off to price planefair to NM, amascuba said I could go to his bar b que and dive with his group. I wonder, what kind of exposure suit do I need for NM diving?
You're gonna fly to NM to dive? :11:
YOU are truly dedicated!
Let me know when you want to hit Ohio! We have some like minded divers lurking too.:eyebrow:

I guess I was lucky. My air fills were included in my Fundies class (not in Rec Triox, though, even though it was through the same shop). And we didn't have any other fees except the $5 for the pool, which I wasn't expecting but big deal.

This time, we had the $125 boat charter fee, but we were asked ahead of time if we wanted to do that, and in fact, one of the instructor's reflections on the class is that he probably won't do that again.

Having arranged a class for an out of town instructor in October last year, I can easily see how somebody coming in like that wouldn't necessarily be familiar with procedures or costs in an unfamiliar environment.

All that said, administration isn't GUE's strong point. But it's an organization of divers, not bureaucrats :)

limeyx:
of course, if you are traveling to the instructor's home base, then they should be able to tell you those things upfront

This was the case with my class. Luckily, I live close enough to Florida, it's easier to find a class and drive to it, then brining an instructor to us.

-Michael

amascuba:
55-62 degree water. So a 7mm suit, with gloves and a hood or a drysuit with hood and gloves. :) Fly to Albuquerque, NM and rent a car and drive to Santa Rosa (2 hours).
wow! I may have to rethink this NM diving plan. I thought it was somewhat warm in the west. 55-62F is drysuit temps.
I plan on going to Pelham, Ala at the end of this month because DUI is hosting a DOG rally wherein they will offer information on drysuits and allow divers to try them out. of course, only having seen a drysuit once, I believe I need some instruction first otherwise I may find myself diving head down.
If you wear a 7 mm in 55 F water, you are a stud. I wear a 3mm in 80F water.
Perhaps I can invite you to dive in the Gulf or Florida springs. The springs range from 68-72F depending on the spring and the Gulf is cold now, around 62-65 but will be in the 70's by April. Taste the salt, smell the open air, enjoy 70foot vis, see the occasional grouper, jack, turtle and tons of little stuff like fairy basslets, damsils and such.
shoots, I was thinking I would hit the water in NM but I gotta get drysuit qualified before I can do that, your place is downright cold.
Now I see I am just not dedicated enough.:)

Downright cold?

From the perspective of the 43 degree water I was floating around in in Lake Washington on Sunday, 55 sounds lovely!

Yikes, we think it's freezing when the water temp hits about 59 degrees....Soon it will start to climb back to the 80's where it belongs....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom