Signed up for DIR-F...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Orans

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After much deliberation and financial planning :wink: I've signed up for DIR Fundamentals (July 29-31, 2005).

Somewhere next week I'll be the proud owner of a BP/W, STA, long hose configuration (though I'm still not sure whether to take a 5' or a 7'), wristmounted compass, bottomtimer etc..

Today I went to the pool to see if I could meet the swimming tests (275m in 14 minutes, swimming 15 m underwater). That wasn't too difficult.

What I'm now looking for is more information about trainingdives.
What kind of drills before the dive etcetera.

Any pointers? :06:

Laurens

Good luck and congrats.

El Orans:
After much deliberation and financial planning :wink: I've signed up for DIR Fundamentals (July 29-31, 2005).

Somewhere next week I'll be the proud owner of a BP/W, STA, long hose configuration (though I'm still not sure whether to take a 5' or a 7'), wristmounted compass, bottomtimer etc..
Take the 7'

Hi Laurens,

With regards to the 5' or 7' hose, what type of diving do you plan on doing most? Janeane loved the 5' hose, as did I, for recreational diving, and I'd even consider switching back to a 5' hose for recreational, single tank, open water dives. I just like the way the 5' hose routed on a recreational rig, but love the 7' hose on my doubles rig.

Practicing before the class is always kind of tricky. IMO the thing you should work on the most is your buoyancy skills. The more comfortable you are with just hovering in place without moving the better. Of course it's easier said than done, and a number of the skills that you'll need to accomplish this task are taught in the class. Regardless, the more relaxed and comfortable you are with just maintaining your position in the water column the better.

Beyond that, it's difficult to say what to focus on. There are kicks, ascent/descent procedures, team awareness, and then the actual drills for the class. The problem is that it's difficult to work on these skills if you haven't taken the class.

As of lately, there have been a number of pre-DIR-F divers that have been diving with us. We avoid teaching any drills or skills on these dives because to be fair, we're still learning them ourselves. Instead we dive with them as much as possible, and they seem to get an idea of what's going on just by watching us. Any direct questions about skills or things to work on, we usually forward them on to GUE instructors.

Do you have a group of GUE divers in the area that you could join on a recreational dive?

By the way, who is teaching your class? You might want to contact them via e-mail, and get their advice on what to work on.

~ Jason

Go with the 7'. Make every effort to see whether you can find someone in your area who has gone through GUE training willing to work with you to set up your new gear. Your instructor will be glad to help, if s/he is in your area, or may be able to suggest an associate. I'd contact your instructor first. Arriving for class in a rig you've never dived (very well) previously is not an optimal beginning IMHO.

Best of luck. You'll enjoy the class. Read the book before you show up.

Good luck and congrats! I would recommend the 7' hose if you have a can light if not the 5' may be a better choice at this point BUT don't buy anything until you shoot an e-mail off to your instructor.

You should check out Jason’s (Darkpup) web site SAUEDIR http://www.sauedir.com/ because there are not one but two GUE instructors on the site on a regular basis.

I think the overall feeling before class is apprehension but by day 3 you'll find that pass, provisional or re-take you will leave the class feeling pretty elated!

It's an awesome experience overal and don't worry about the swim test it's simple. Like Jason said, don't "practice" any drills just work on being comfortable in the gear.

Bring lots of healthy snacks. There's not allot of down time, hardly any really.
Bring lots of water, Gatorade or any electrolyte replacement beverage.
Manage your time well if you miss a chance to get a fill you may hold up the class.

Have a great time!
-Chris

El Orans:

Today I went to the pool to see if I could meet the swimming tests (275m in 14 minutes, swimming 15 m underwater). That wasn't too difficult.

What I'm now looking for is more information about trainingdives.
What kind of drills before the dive etcetera.

Any pointers? :06:

Laurens

The hose length depends on a few of things.

1. How big are you?
2. What type of diving you you plan on doing?
3. Do you have a cannister light?

A large person will feel more comfortable with a longer length hose. It usually sits better against the body. With a 5 foot hose, chances are that you will not have enough length to tuck it in or route around a light can.

Any overhead diving will require a 7 foot hose. If you're training with doubles, don't bother with a 5 footer.

A cannster light will allow the 7 ft hose to route smoothly.

All that said, I use a 7 foot hose for every type of diving. If I'm in gin clear water and no cannister light, I just tuck the excess into my waist belt. When I have the cannister, it just routes around the bottom of it. For me, the longer hose just works in all types of situations, and I feel quite comfortable with it.

When you get comfortable with your DIRF skills, I think you'll like the longer hose better also. It's nice to have the extra couple of feet on an air share when both parties are spot on with their bouyancy and trim.

Enjoy the class, and don't worry about practicing beforehand. You will probably have to unlearn most of it anyway!!! Have fun!

detroit diver:
The hose length depends on a few of things.

1. How big are you?
2. What type of diving you you plan on doing?
3. Do you have a cannister light?
1. About 5'11"
2. Recreational
3. No, am thinking about a harness pocket to store spool, spare mask, SMB etc. Could be used to store the extra hose length.

Peo:
Have a look at http://www.frogkick.nl
There may be someone there that's in your area.
Been there, done that, got the sweatshirt. :wink:
At least 4 of the other students are on the DIR-NL mailing list.

Doc Intrepid:
Make every effort to see whether you can find someone in your area who has gone through GUE training willing to work with you to set up your new gear.

Arriving for class in a rig you've never dived (very well) previously is not an optimal beginning IMHO.

Read the book before you show up.
By the time I get to take DIR-F I'll have had at least 40 dives with my new setup.
Got the book and will read it (again).
The LDS I'm getting my gear from is run by DIR divers.

darkpup:
Hi Laurens,

By the way, who is teaching your class? You might want to contact them via e-mail, and get their advice on what to work on.

~ Jason
Our instructor will be Andy Kerslake. I'll send him an email.

Laurens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom