signed up for advanced cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I seem to recall viz is generally better on the Duane. Of course that is never a constant. The Duane was more full of life on my dives to both wrecks. When I was there it was June and consequently this time of year generally has calmer water all around Florida and there was little current. I don't live there so can't say what is typical in KL based on the time of year.

Either way, both dives are going to be around the 100 fsw mark and I agree the SG has more places to hide, the Duane was just a cooler dive.

This trip was with Rainbow Reef in 2018. As you can see I'm off the line in the desent.

Wow! Amazing videos!! Thank you so much for sharing!!! :):)

I have run over 100 dives to the Duane and the Spiegel as a captain on Rainbow Reefs' 46 foot Newton boats and have done about an equal number on them as a diver. Both are fine for what you are doing. Currents vary day to day, hour to hour on both.

*IF* you tie to ball #6 on the Spiegel you will find the bottom of that line tied to the port side amidships in about 70 fsw.

You will hand-over-hand down the mooring line to the wreck being able to stop your descent immediately if you feel the need to.

Just enjoy the dive and as stated above you can call it off at anytime.

Thank you!!!! I am sure I am overthinking it and should just enjoy it :)

It is actually easier to dive at 100 feet than at 40 feet. Remember from the OW class the difference in gas compression and expansion as you get deeper. When you are at 40 feet, the air in your BCD will expand and contract as you change depths much, much more than it will at 100 feet. That makes it much easier to control your buoyancy at the deeper depths.

The most important thing to learn on the deep dive is related to that difference in pressure as well. You will go through your air supply much faster at depth than at 40 feet, so you have to be very aware of your current gas supply. Check your gauges frequently. Talk with your instructor about your gas planning, including especially how much gas you should have when you begin your ascent and how you can plan for that in the future.

The current on the Spiegel Grove is also a good learning experience. You will descend a mooring line, and there are several on the wreck, so you won't know ahead of time which one you will use and how the current will be going in relation to it. You want to be back at that same mooring line when you begin your ascent, and the current makes a big difference. If the current is going from one end of the wreck to the other, your turning point will be hugely different depending upon which way you are going in relation to that current.

Thank you for your reply!! Last time we went diving in KL in April, we had pretty strong currents, but that was in 30-40 feet depth. Not sure if the currents are stronger when you go deeper.

For the deep dive, at least for me, it was shocking how little different it felt, so one takeaway I took from it is that you can get pretty deep, pretty easily, without noticing, if you don't watch your depth. Tropical waters, where it's crystal clear make the bottom not look so deep.

I also recommend taking the opportunity to try out the night dive while still under instruction. You might like it. Just like being out in countryside on a dark night, your eyes adjust and you see quite a lot without a flashlight. And if there are bioluminescent plankton about, it's like being in stars.

I know it sounds silly, but I am not sure if I can make myself jump in the ocean in the dark. I really have to think about it. It would be smart to try it since the instructor will be there, but.....

Not sure if the currents are stronger when you go deeper.

Typically not in Key Largo. The currents are due to the proximity of the Gulfstream and the currents run about the same on the surface as at 100 feet.

I know it sounds silly, but I am not sure if I can make myself jump in the ocean in the dark. I really have to think about it. It would be smart to try it since the instructor will be there, but.....

You can always do it later. Hire an instructor or DM for the dive, after you have more experience and are ready for something new. Night diving is an acquired taste.

Deep diving: really the same as any other diving....watch your gas consumption more regularly, and watch more closely for signs of CO2 buildup (rapid breathing, feeling of panic setting in)....other than that is a regular dive, just a little colder and a little darker.

Night diving: the biggest hurdle you have to overcome is your own mind...everything else is just a regular dive...just remember, all the scary things that are in (or not in) the water during the day are there (or not there) during the night.....there are no night goblins, there isnt a big scary kraken behind you.....for the most part you are the scariest thing in the water.

bring a good dive light, and have a spare.....and make sure you have compass navigation down pretty well.

Many rec night dives I've been on in the keys put you in the water around dusk so you're not "jumping into the black" for your first dunk. By the second dive you'll have no problem!

Many rec night dives I've been on in the keys put you in the water around dusk so you're not "jumping into the black" for your first dunk. By the second dive you'll have no problem!
When asked about playing the outfield in a certain ballpark famous for its advancing dark shadows as the afternoon moved toward dusk, Yogi Berra famously said, "It gets late early out there." The same is true of the ocean (or lakes, really). When the sun gets low, its light does not penetrate far into the water. Many night dives do begin when it is still daylight on the surface. One advantage of doing it even a tad earlier than that is you get to see the changing for the guard from the daylight critters to the night time critters.

A little fear is healthy. Keeps you from making too many "hold my beer!" decisions. I felt pretty nervous before my deep dive in my AOW course. Ironically it was seeing a shark in the water below me that quieted my fear; suddenly I was just excited for the dive.

Remember that if you feel too far out of your comfort envelope, there's no shame in calling the dive and trying another day. Despite the safety benefits of a little fear, too much can itself be a danger; you don't want to panic underwater. But I join everyone else in predicting that, once you're at depth, you'll wonder what you were so worried about in the first place!

Back
Top Bottom