Question Signal Device For Hard of Hearing Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
S

SaltySiren

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I wasn't sure if this Q belongs here or in the disability forum, but I dive with someone who is hard of hearing and we often have trouble getting their attention underwater using traditional audible methods (tank tappers, shakers)

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this and has suggestions?

In the past, we have used flashlights, but the efficacy of that depends on the conditions underwater and distance. Someone at a scuba shop mentioned something called the "Buddy Watcher" which vibrates, which sounded great but after looking into it, it appears they are no longer in production. :( Does anyone know of any similar devices?

my suggestion would def have been a light. no matter the conditions you should be close enough to see a light. if you are not, you have other problems.

Buddy lines are commonly used. This one is attached to each other's wrist.

Buddy_line.jpg

Buddy Watcher was fraught with design problems limited by the then available technology and trying to manufacture within a retail price point.

In reference to “hard of hearing”:

Determine what frequency of sound their hearing is best at. May vary anywhere from 20-20k hertz. You can get this at the free on-line hearing tests (close enough) or at Sam’s Club for free. Concentrate on producing a sound in that tone range. A high pitched whistle for some, banging a tank with a hammer for others.

There are power inflator noise makers that offer a broad range of tones, the quacker and there’s a horn/whistle. Maybe one of them is the sweet spot for your dive buddy?

Anecdotaly- I’ve found u/w vs. above sound frequency sensitivity seems to parallel, what my range is, it maintains in and out of water.

Further complicating the solution: even with perfect hearing, the majority of divers are so busy diving that they have auditory exclusion, they really can’t hear anything no matter what.

2D868988-FD66-46CF-9F5A-A4F866364AB1.jpeg

I like “leashes” (as above prior post) +1 @Johnoly This is MilSpec methodology in occluded water or sound sensitive environments.

Lasers are 100% ineffective. Simply will not work. Flashlights even at night have marginal effect on the majority of divers.

Like Trump said, “Just grab ‘em by the flipper”.

My wife claims I can't hear, but it's entirely possible I do the auditory exclusion thing. (And she's not a diver, this is strictly above water.)

I have a quacker that is very audible under water. But I've only once had a diver respond, and then after quacking for some time to alert them to a cool shark swimming underneath them.

I have moderate+ hearing loss and wear hearing aids. I can't hear much underwater, but I can vaguely hear "dink" "dink" on the tank if its close enough. I can hear a simulated catastrophic gas manifold valve leak, although its sometimes hard to tell which valve its coming from.

the bigger problem is when I take my aids out on the boat before a dive, and I have to be next to the dive briefer. If I'm diving on a ship with dive pros and crew, I always let them know in advance.

if you're diving with someone who is hearing impaired, brief them to keep you in sight or to keep looking at you because its hard to get their attention. a dive light only helps in low-light conditions (cavern/cave/wreck)

its never been a problem.

Back
Top Bottom