Question Signal Device For Hard of Hearing Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
S

SaltySiren

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I wasn't sure if this Q belongs here or in the disability forum, but I dive with someone who is hard of hearing and we often have trouble getting their attention underwater using traditional audible methods (tank tappers, shakers)

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this and has suggestions?

In the past, we have used flashlights, but the efficacy of that depends on the conditions underwater and distance. Someone at a scuba shop mentioned something called the "Buddy Watcher" which vibrates, which sounded great but after looking into it, it appears they are no longer in production. :( Does anyone know of any similar devices?

Is there a dive light you use often / recommend?

After a lifetime of about 5ooo dives, i find this to work occasionally, sometimes, once on a while

I believe Trident labels it as “Fat Man”….

108D2015-08C6-4046-B2D0-1D2F63C1DF58.jpeg

Kind of a single-use “gadget”

Is there a dive light you use often / recommend?
I dive mostly in cold / green / dark waters near Vancouver and have used a Light and Motion Sola 800 for over 400 dives. Wide/Narrow beams and 3 brightness levels. Works great for me.

Carrying a light on all dives, even in the tropics in the day, lets you find lots more critters tucked back in nooks and crannies.

The captain of the last boat I was on told us to shine our lights at him if he didn't spot us right away when we surfaced as he could spot that faster than an smb (which he wanted us to deploy as well)

... Someone at a scuba shop mentioned something called the "Buddy Watcher" which vibrates, which sounded great but after looking into it, it appears they are no longer in production. :( Does anyone know of any similar devices?

Scream at DiveAlert: they bought the company and never re-started production. (I, for one, am not buying any of their products ever unless they bring the Buddy Watcher back.)

Signal Device For Hard of Hearing Divers?

Pole spear?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom