Sig line limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla:
Ahh... nope, didn't think you were complaining, just though you at first brought up an issue then realized it may be a tech support issue and since thats part of what I do for a living was just trying to help ya resolve it :)

And I owned a software development company for 20 sumptin years which is why I knew I didn't need any tech support. :D

I've programmed multiple GUI's over the years. All share something in common: font metrics. Any programmer that has had to publish commercial software (i.e. run on many different hardware configs) can tell you that if you don't deal with font metrics, there will be display problems on some hardware configs. You never, ever refer to anything in pixel counts. The physical size of a pixel varies from one monitor to another. That 3px border is physically much larger on a 800x600 screen vs a 1600x1280. And don't forget to include pixel aspect ratio's - is it 4:3 or 5:4 or something unique to the platform (e.g. widescreen monitors). Write a few terminal emulation apps and you'll quickly discover what I mean about font metrics and pixels....

Ideally, web browsers would have a layout manager (much like QT's), but LM's are overkill for what the browser was originally intended to do. Then again, most of what is in browsers today wasn't even a thought 10 or so years ago. Still, I and most web developer's I talk to would love to see a real LM show up in Firefox.... which would force IE to follow suit (a few years later of course :D).

See.. now thats how removed I am from that stuff.. Just the hardware and heartbeat man... I like my network backbone and server stuff. Desktops are just an aside nasty. :D

Of course, now I know who to send 'what the heck is this doing' grams to with software :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom