DIR- Generic Sidemounting Deco Cylinders when diving backmount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeanW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I‘m sure this has been brought up before, but I’m curious as to why more people don’t Sidemount deco cylinders when diving BM doubles. It seems like a good option to streamline the cylinders more. Asking here because I imagine there is a reason not in favor. Thoughts?

I've been doing it for a long time and a lot of people do it with sidemounted bailout on CCR. Lots of reasons not to have those bottles on the right with open circuit that you can find on here but with a single bottle on the left it can be helpful to have but for multiple deco bottles it doesn't streamline much of anything.

Easy enough to add a loop bungee to your left side and if you search through some of my old posts I have pictures on here showing how I did it.

I've been doing it for a long time and a lot of people do it with sidemounted bailout on CCR. Lots of reasons not to have those bottles on the right with open circuit that you can find on here but with a single bottle on the left it can be helpful to have but for multiple deco bottles it doesn't streamline much of anything.

Easy enough to add a loop bungee to your left side and if you search through some of my old posts I have pictures on here showing how I did it.
I’ve seen the threads about doing it. My question was pertaining more so to why it would or wouldn’t be an accepted approach in the dir crowd

I’ve seen the threads about doing it. My question was pertaining more so to why it would or wouldn’t be an accepted approach in the dir crowd
you'd have to ask divers that firmly subscribe to the DIR principals, this is their subforum so I'm not going to speak to that part other than it's worked for a very long time without them and some of us that are a bit less stringent to sticking to the past have evolved to sidemount at least one of our stage/deco bottles when the situation calls for it

I asked my instructor (he trained me tech and SM both) the same question, and he provided the following explanation:
1. In the traditional DIR concept, there is a strong emphasis on maintaining an clear right side to accommodate equipment like the long hose, the primary lantern canister, or the scooter.
2. When managing decompression procedures, there is a clearly defined protocol: checking the Maximum Operating Depth (MOD) marked on both the neck and tank body, and manually locating the second regulator from the first regulator. Implementing these steps for right-sided deco cylinder while carrying a scooter on the right side can become overly intricate.
3. If I arrange all of the sidemount-related gear, such as the crouch canister, without the scooter and ensure that the right-side D-ring is reserved for the tank, it can be challenging for my tech team members to comprehend my setup and procedures. Adhering to the established protocol simplifies the process, saves time, and minimizes the potential for errors.

Reactions: OTF
I subscribe to DIR philosophy. However, some principles outlined above are a bit dated and could use a review. For example, what if you dive w/o a can light? Do you still need to account for its space? Lights have evolved and plenty people dive w/o cans in caves and wrecks. Also, if you want to be streamlined you may put the can elsewhere provided that you can operate the can safely (e.g., your controls aren't on the can itself but on a controller).

The scooter scenario outlined above is valid. But if you don't own the scooter, it makes less sense. You can do all of those things with sidemounted cylinders on both side.

The last point is quite interesting and troublesome at the same time. Before you jump in, you do gear matching so that you can understand your buddies' setup. I haven't been in a situation where understanding one's tank arrangement required more than a simple dialogue.

I have been sidemounting my bailouts since day one and found the setup to be extremely streamlined and easy to understand.

I subscribe to DIR philosophy. However, some principles outlined above are a bit dated and could use a review. For example, what if you dive w/o a can light? Do you still need to account for its space? Lights have evolved and plenty people dive w/o cans in caves and wrecks. Also, if you want to be streamlined you may put the can elsewhere provided that you can operate the can safely (e.g., your controls aren't on the can itself but on a controller).

The scooter scenario outlined above is valid. But if you don't own the scooter, it makes less sense. You can do all of those things with sidemounted cylinders on both side.

The last point is quite interesting and troublesome at the same time. Before you jump in, you do gear matching so that you can understand your buddies' setup. I haven't been in a situation where understanding one's tank arrangement required more than a simple dialogue.

I have been sidemounting my bailouts since day one and found the setup to be extremely streamlined and easy to understand.
You’re welcome to do whatever you want.

But DIR is straight forward. At present, cordless lights don’t really cut it for demanding dives. Putting the can elsewhere compromises something else. Right side works, and it works well.

Keeping the right side clear for the long hose is paramount. Nothing else goes over there.

The DIR config carries you from simple Ow to multi stage cave diving. You might not own a scooter or do those dives, but the idea is that your base platform can support anything.

A quick chat about equipment config isnt how we roll. We *know* each others gear because it’s all the same. There’s no variation from dive to dive or individual to individual.

Thank you all for the responses so far. I think I should probably clarify a little better my question. I am aware that dir teaches all bottles on the left or a leash to keep the right side clear. My question is specifically pertaining to streamlining the deco cylinders on the left by side mounting/ adding a bungee to the valve so that they aren’t dangling as much. Granted, I’ve only been in the water with one for an/dp, but I personally did not like that the bottle was swinging around so much (this is with conventional stage rigging). I’m asking if anyone who dives dir side mounts the bottles on the left to secure them tighter and if not, why

The main reason why really sidemount is not easy with a backmount twinset is that the harnass around your hips is completely different from a sidemount harnass. My backmount harnass goes way too high to be able to attach any sidemount tank proparly als sidemount, but it is easy to attach them proparly 'dir'.
I can attach them sidemount on my bm ccr as there I made d-rings on the ccr frame. The bungees are not that problem with a normal dir-harnass, but it is really the harnass webbing around the hips. The backplate end with me way above my hips, so getting it over my hips is impossible.

If a bottle is swinging around with a traditional stage rigging, then probably you have the boltsnap at the bottom of the tank too long, and the one near the valve too low. There is no need that a cylinder is swinging around.

Thank you all for the responses so far. I think I should probably clarify a little better my question. I am aware that dir teaches all bottles on the left or a leash to keep the right side clear. My question is specifically pertaining to streamlining the deco cylinders on the left by side mounting/ adding a bungee to the valve so that they aren’t dangling as much. Granted, I’ve only been in the water with one for an/dp, but I personally did not like that the bottle was swinging around so much (this is with conventional stage rigging). I’m asking if anyone who dives dir side mounts the bottles on the left to secure them tighter and if not, why

It makes gas switches difficult when carrying a single stage, and impossible when carrying multiple. Gas switches are one of the most dangerous procedures in technical and cave diving, and the procedure needs to be exactly the same every time, no exceptions. You can’t see the MOD or analysis labels when the tank is sidemounted, meaning you can’t do a proper gas switch. Sure you can pull the bungee off and pull the tank in front of you, but that’s fiddly and difficult in more restrictive places, and re-stowing your reg on that sidemounted tank is extremely difficult, again especially in restrictive areas. If you are carrying a second stage, it blocks you from being able to bring the sidemounted tank forward to see the label.

If your stages are rigged and carried properly, they really aren’t that much less streamlined, and it allows us to be consistent with procedures.

Attachments

• DDB85DC2-8A2A-4558-8194-CDE2BD64280A.jpeg
    DDB85DC2-8A2A-4558-8194-CDE2BD64280A.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 128
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom