Sidemount with back mounted deco gas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the point of sidemount tanks with back mounted deco gas?

Would that not be equivalent of back mounted bottom gas with side mounted deco gas, ie. normal back mount configuration?

The whole point of sm is to be _flat_

Like what was said, your can't verify your gas, as we have seen that can be deadly.

Cant hand it off if you are having issues elsewhere.

Can't tell if it has been free flowing/leaking if you left it on during the dive, cant fix it if something happens when you turn it back on either at the turn of the dive or when you are about to make your gas switch. (this happened on the deco course I did with doppler, luckily it was supposed to be deco gas sharing on accent....we just had to switch whose bottle was going to be used once my teammates first stage decided to have a meltdown)

If you want the bottle up and out of the way.....top mount your deco bottle....you can mark your gas on the neck of the bottle and still verify it, and you are still keeping in nice sidemount trim.

Reactions: Jax
OK, OK... own up. What have you been smoking.

This is an inane idea and your reasoning (not stacking bottles, and easier to get onto the boat) suggests you have not spoken to a SM instructor... or someone who actually has some background in SM... and/or that your deco bottle is not configured as it should be.

And the warnings already voiced should be reason enough NOT to attempt this. Deco gas is the most likely to freeflow (at least in my limited experience) so why put the controls where they are hidden and inaccessible?

:rofl3:

Reactions: Tug
If you want the bottle up and out of the way.....top mount your deco bottle....you can mark your gas on the neck of the bottle and still verify it, and you are still keeping in nice sidemount trim.

If you are going to do this, please remove your deco tank to the front so you can verify the regulator you are breathing from during a gas switch. I keep whatever stage/deco bottle I am breathing from on the front left for this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Easy to do with Hollis SMS 100. Any compelling reason not to? Seems easier to manage. (Open Water)

Ok, I'll play along.

What is the compelling reason TO do it?

Easier to manage in what sense?

If you are going to do this, please remove your deco tank to the front so you can verify the regulator you are breathing from during a gas switch. I keep whatever stage/deco bottle I am breathing from on the front left for this reason.

I was taught to have the second stage in hand, follow the hose to the first stage/tank, to ensure that I am indeed breathing from the proper tank, teammate watches and gives the ok before I breathe from said reg. I can see the top of the deco tank including the reg, so I'm not sure what ya mean by pull it forward, I'm assuming unhook it from the bottom bolt snap and swing it in front?

I was taught to have the second stage in hand, follow the hose to the first stage/tank, to ensure that I am indeed breathing from the proper tank, teammate watches and gives the ok before I breathe from said reg. I can see the top of the deco tank including the reg, so I'm not sure what ya mean by pull it forward, I'm assuming unhook it from the bottom bolt snap and swing it in front?

Pretty much. Although I am a firm believer in not top mounting deco bottles. I mount them underside of my main bottles. Stage bottles can go topside when not in use. It is also my personal preference to have whatever gas I am breathing to be on the bottom left. I don't always have a teammate there to verify my gas switch. So, I want to be able to physically look at my tank and my reg before I breathe from them.

Pretty much. Although I am a firm believer in not top mounting deco bottles. I mount them underside of my main bottles. Stage bottles can go topside when not in use. It is also my personal preference to have whatever gas I am breathing to be on the bottom left. I don't always have a teammate there to verify my gas switch. So, I want to be able to physically look at my tank and my reg before I breathe from them.

Ahh ok, i got ya.

Easy to do with Hollis SMS 100. Any compelling reason not to? Seems easier to manage. (Open Water)

OK, OK... own up. What have you been smoking.

This is an inane idea and your reasoning (not stacking bottles, and easier to get onto the boat) suggests you have not spoken to a SM instructor... or someone who actually has some background in SM... and/or that your deco bottle is not configured as it should be.

And the warnings already voiced should be reason enough NOT to attempt this. Deco gas is the most likely to freeflow (at least in my limited experience) so why put the controls where they are hidden and inaccessible?
The only component compelling enough to backmount on a sidemount diving system is the scrubber canister & head unit of a Rebreather. . .

https://www.advanceddivermagazine.com/articles/ccrsidemount/ccrsidemount.html

UTD Video Blog: Versatility of the MX mCCR Rebreather - Unified Team Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom