SideMount Setup Fine Tuning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sooooo... good/bad day of diving with the new setup.

Good: I lived. The left tank felt good as the bungee was pretty good...goddam tight...but barely able to get on with both hands. Things felt ok...but i was not super comfy. Saw octo, pipe fish, rat fish, 50'+ vis in Puget Sound (incredible), and had a harbor seal swim right in front of me about 8' away. Buoyancy control was great...

Bad: left tank sits high so the reg hose goes high above my neck...annoying...
Right tank bungee was too tight...had to loosen and spin the cam band to get it to work...
My reg hoses got tangled at 60fsw...not good
I forgot my computer (button spgs FTW this day lol)...
I was under weighted as i have been diving freshwater and this was salt (add 5lbs)
I used my frameless mask as it has a great field of view but it was not sealing well
My inflator hoses had major bends in them (no bueno)

Overall, it was good...but rough.

I will post pics and maybe a few vids in next day or so...

Lots of tweaks to do. The right bungee needs to be longer, maybe ad a steel link at the back...

Still hinting for pics of the hoses...but...the tank trim is horked:

FullSizeR.jpg
Geodome:
IMG_2764.jpg
Octo in pipe:
IMG_2758.jpg
Kelp crab:
IMG_2765.jpg
Harbor seal...with perfect trim...
FullSizeR(1).jpg

Why didn't you move your rear snap to your lower drings as your tank started to float?

Well, that is a great point...I was a bit task loaded...and did not notice at that moment.

Great call...it seems the tanks get light and need to be reclipped around 2300psi, eh?

Great call...it seems the tanks get light and need to be reclipped around 2300psi, eh?
About 2500 is where the aluminum cylinders I use start to float.
It’s a good time to do a reg swap as part of your gas management.

I usually do my reg swap around 2000...then on tank #2 [from 3000psi, breathed down to] 1000, then back to tank #1 [from 2000, down to] at 1000...then I have 1/3 of my gas left, with minimal switches.

Yesterday, I was doing a test dive...forgot my computer...so had no SPG, and the new gear setup left me a bit "off"...and I was underweighted for saltwater...I am just not experienced with SM, or comfortable yet...and it slipped my mind to re-clip the tanks lower.

It is a great reminder about the tanks getting light that early...my regular dive shop consistently underfills the tanks [like 2800 cold or 2700 cold]...so...it can get light right away, not a ways into the dive as expected.

Yes, drysuit :)

I decided to to AL80s as they are the most easily acquired tank around...so, when I travel, I am able to get a similar setup to what I have at home. Admittedly, tho, I do not travel much lately as I have young kids and a tight budget :) Plus, I got a good deal on a bunch of AL80s :)

Steels, would make a great choice tho!

Once the AL80s and my overall gear setup is sorted out, I would love to try them out :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom