Sidemount Regulator (Beginner)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
C

Cyztem

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for a regulator set to use for side-mount but there are many brands and models for it, so advice or insight would be appreciated it. (might be used for technical in the future)

Most expensive to least expensive (from what I research so far)
1.) Apeks XTX50 - High standard, great quality breath well (what I am currently using but it's for single), however, it is the most expensive (not sure if I am that ready to invest in)
2.) DIve rite X1 - Heard that it is a common choice for the not-too-high or too-low quality regulator (mid-tier), but also haven't tried it as well
3.) HOG D3 - Heard that it is a similar design as the Apeks, but cheaper, and not as good quality as Apeks, but haven't tried it personally

At first, thinking of getting the HOG, but there is such a limited review, so any thought on it would be very useful.

If there is any regulator, I should look into, please let me know. Thank you!

Cannot find any UK distributors.

I set a few things up when I lived in the UK during med school. Initially we planned to cover the UK from Europe after I left, but since Brexit has occurred I have been exploring other options for distribution there. It isn't as straight forward now.

That link (https://www.deep6gear.com/storelocator) is broken on your website.

We upgraded software and unfortunately that module doesn't work with the new version, I am looking for a replacement. I will have to rebuild the database and then can get it back up.

Looking at regulators shows loads of hoses with ghastly colours.

We make hoses in black, orange, yellow, and green. The website sorts by multiple preference settings for sorting, you can narrow the search to 1st/2nds or packages if you don't wish to see the hoses. By default when you click "Regulators" you should see a lot of second stages in multiple colors near the top.

I hear a lot of noise on ScubaBoard about Deep6, so you’ve obviously got a good brand following. Would be nice to get some information and even buy the kit outside of the US.

We have a ton of information on the website including FAQs, blog posts, and product details. What would you like to know? As mentioned multiple times earlier, there are many non-US resellers, in fact we have more international retailers than US ones. The UK is unfortunately not covered by us at the moment, but I am working on sorting an option for there.

Cheers,
Landon

I set a few things up when I lived in the UK during med school. Initially we planned to cover the UK from Europe after I left, but since Brexit has occurred I have been exploring other options for distribution there. It isn't as straight forward now.

We upgraded software and unfortunately that module doesn't work with the new version, I am looking for a replacement. I will have to rebuild the database and then can get it back up.

We make hoses in black, orange, yellow, and green. The website sorts by multiple preference settings for sorting, you can narrow the search to 1st/2nds or packages if you don't wish to see the hoses. By default when you click "Regulators" you should see a lot of second stages in multiple colors near the top.

We have a ton of information on the website including FAQs, blog posts, and product details. What would you like to know? As mentioned multiple times earlier, there are many non-US resellers, in fact we have more international retailers than US ones. The UK is unfortunately not covered by us at the moment, but I am working on sorting an option for there.

Cheers,
Landon
Would be really useful if you listed your international resellers.

Kind of getting tired of Apeks/Aqualung taking the piss with their pricing -- seems their inflation calculator lost its decimal point. For good reasons technical divers are very conservative, so brand loyalty is strong. This can only go so far before other brands become more attractive.

Importing kit into a country is a royal PITA, so one would expect an "international brand" to have distributors in many different countries.

This may be the first time I have heard someone call us pricey, given all we provide with an initial purchase. We certainly aren't the cheapest, but we are far from the most expensive brand on average.
Yeah, but all those people seem to be Americans that apparently are oblivious to the fact that Apeks and Scubapro basically charges double or more for the same stuff once shipped to the States. Those people also probabaly don't know that the Euro prices shown in online shops already include about 20% VAT which is subtracted when exported.
Anybody who does a little research would know that deep6 IS pricey. Numbers are not really a matter of opinion. I posted a link to a normal brick-and-mortar for the people that don't wanna believe it.

BTW: I doubt many people would buy Santi in the US either if they knew ordering from Europe would safe them 1000 or 1500 bucks. Looks like some people never look at anything outside the US even when the products are made elsewhere.
Even less of a problem after being provided a free set of kits initially, and multiple non-US sources for getting more.
You can pretty much walz into every dive shop around the world and odds are they either offer Scubapro or Apeks service and parts, or both. Most shops outside of the US probably never even heard of deep6. The only place I've heard about it is Scubaboard.
Yes, I would agree we are very popular here, for good reason. Exceptional products, customer service, and support, at reasonable prices have helped us establish a great presence.
I'm sure you do have great service and I'm sure the regs are just fine.
I actually like smaller companies and generally rather buy their stuff than from a bigger company. But not regs. Because they need parts and I like to use stuff for a long time. There are tons of smaller companies that have popped up and left over the last decades.

Dive rite is also a local or regional US brand... that's fine and their stuff isn't bad either. So are HOG, EDGE, etc. neither of these I would recommend to anyone that lives outside the US.

BTW: I can't even find shipping cost to the EU on the website. Looks like I would have to make an account. That doesn't really make is seem like you're interested in international customers.

Kind of getting tired of Apeks/Aqualung taking the piss with their pricing -- seems their inflation calculator lost its decimal point.
Everything has gone up in price if you haven't noticed, so Apeks it not taking the piss. And thanks to the geniuses that voted brexit, prices in the UK have gone up even more than in the rest of Europe... you know, putting up trade barriers makes stuff more expensive for the consumer (I know, what a surprise).

... but since Brexit has occurred I have been exploring other options for distribution there. It isn't as straight forward now.

Yeah, but all those people seem to be Americans that apparently are oblivious to the fact that Apeks and Scubapro basically charges double or more for the same stuff once shipped to the States. Those people also probabaly don't know that the Euro prices shown in online shops already include about 20% VAT which is subtracted when exported.
Anybody who does a little research would know that deep6 IS pricey. Numbers are not really a matter of opinion.
Indeed, numbers are not a matter of opinion! I can buy a SP Mk19/A700 here in the US for $1239. If they more than doubled the price from the EU, that puts the reg set at around $500. That's what I can buy a Deep6 for, and it comes with parts.

Apeks Comfobite mouthpiece. Used to be $€£6. Now circa £$€15 to 18.
ATX40, used to be £80, now £150.

Noticed that some shops have stopped selling the trusty cheaper Apeks regs in favour of the crazy expensive ones.

Apeks Comfobite mouthpiece. Used to be $€£6. Now circa £$€15 to 18.
ATX40, used to be £80, now £150.
That's not Apeks taking the piss. Butter has gone up in price too.

Wait and see what happens when the UK actually starts to do custom checks.

Thank you all very much!

After discussing with my instructor, I have decided to keep on with the APEKS XTX50 Sidemount Set from the website that Bernado provided for these reasons.
1.) It is in a similar price range for other regulators (DR, Deep6, and others) if I had bought them in America and had sent them through shipping. So I may as well buy the one that I used to and knew them.
2.) Aqualung is very popular here, so I "believe" it should be serviceable here. But I did take a lesson for regulator maintenance so "technically" I could service them myself, although need more practice.
3.) I like APEKS (What I start with and using right now [although pricing is a little bit painful if not for some of the websites])

Thank you very much for all the previous help from many users! I have read all the comments but special thanks to:
1.) Bernado for providing the website and insight for the service kits
2.) Underwater tourist for providing the website
3.) Hacoline for teaching and correcting mistakes (Much Appreciate!)
4.) LandonL for all the information about Deep6 and clarification, will definitely try them when I had the chance!

Others who stress the importance of serviceability (ScubawithTurk, Jens Bolte, VikingDives, Marie13, Rollin Bonz, L13, Wibble, and others)

I will have the regulator soon and start my license for my sidemount adventure.

Thank you very much,
Cyztem (OP)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom