Sidemount instruction - Raleigh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CPRC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’m seeking hands-on SM help/instruction whatever want to call it at local Raleigh quarry. Is there any instructor in the area willing to do a handful of dives with me (FOR PAY - not expecting free - lunch, gate fee, all the above, whatever) for a day of quarry diving, whatever is needed to reduce my endless adjusting in the wrong directions (I am assuming). Seeking hands on help with harness adjustment, cyl rotations, valve / hose placements, etc. My primary dive site is Mystery. I’ve tried the video thing - Viz always sux for video strategy for analysis by others.

basics of my gear: Katana2, drysuit (157 dives so far), got 2x hp100, and 2x alum n80, 2x mk25/g260. i practice mostly the 80s. Don’t laugh…got 84 dives in SM…still struggling. And don’t tell me to ‘hang it up’ i love it too much.

For you I wait :) I’ll keep at it. I’m quarry wet about 1x week.
Let’s go direct message. Not sure how to do that. maybe u can initiate?

I’m seeking hands-on SM help/instruction whatever want to call it at local Raleigh quarry. Is there any instructor in the area willing to do a handful of dives with me (FOR PAY - not expecting free - lunch, gate fee, all the above, whatever) for a day of quarry diving, whatever is needed to reduce my endless adjusting in the wrong directions (I am assuming). Seeking hands on help with harness adjustment, cyl rotations, valve / hose placements, etc. My primary dive site is Mystery. I’ve tried the video thing - Viz always sux for video strategy for analysis by others.

basics of my gear: Katana2, drysuit (157 dives so far), got 2x hp100, and 2x alum n80, 2x mk25/g260. i practice mostly the 80s. Don’t laugh…got 84 dives in SM…still struggling. And don’t tell me to ‘hang it up’ i love it too much.

I am guessing you never took a proper SM course and have been trying to self-learn?

For you I wait :) I’ll keep at it. I’m quarry wet about 1x week.
Let’s go direct message. Not sure how to do that. maybe u can initiate?

Just click that Quote in DM link at the bottom of tbone1004's message to you...

QuoteInDM.png

Officially I did. A padi guy up here. Nice guy and all that but in hindsight, wish I took it with a more technical minded instructor. But…what I learned was all I could get out of him in a short amount of time - the “class”, which was a couple few short dives. And yes since then been practicing on my own, reading SB, getting out there, trying diff things. etc.

Officially I did. A padi guy up here. Nice guy and all that but in hindsight, wish I took it with a more technical minded instructor. But…what I learned was all I could get out of him in a short amount of time - the “class”, which was a couple few short dives. And yes since then been practicing on my own, reading SB, getting out there, trying diff things. etc.

Yikes...this is why I tell people to take a SM course with someone who dives SM almost exclusively. I only dive STBM if I am teaching Open Water and even then, on dives three and four, I am in SM. Other than that, unless I am on the rebreather, it is SM.

I am finishing up a SM course today for a student with about 50 total dives. We spent an entire day on gear config including the harness setup and cylinder rigging. Then some pool time before heading to the ocean. 4 dives in and he is looking quite good. Today is his final dive. He doesn't struggle with setting things up, cylinder trim, etc because I have already struggled with that myself. He is learning from all the mistakes I made as well as all the things I have experimented with.

I had a good SM course but when I got my XDeep, I was the only one in that country diving it at the time. Set it up myself and had to make a ton of tweaks. This was before there were YouTube videos on how to set it up or a nice guide online like the one found on the Aqui Watersports website.

I don't think it is about the instructor being more technical minded but rather the instructor having real SM knowledge based on experience rather than self certification and few dives in SM.

I wish you luck and please let us know how it goes once you get a proper workshop. Would love to hear more about how it went.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom