GUE Fundies: What an Amazing Class!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats Kathy! You've worked hard and have truly earned it! Let's get in the water soon!

A huge thanks for all your help Kenn :)! Sounds great, I'd love to go diving with you whenever!

I signed myself up for this? Wow, what am I thinking? :shakehead: Thanks! Great write up. Hope I can do half as well as you did, when it's my turn! Congrats!!!

Thanks! Good luck with your class! I'm sure you will do great! Looking forward to your class report :)!

Congratulations and thanks for the great writeup and pics :D I am taking it this summer with Keithdiver and gypsyjim.

I was a Fundamentals team mate of Kathy. The bigger guy in the photos. I thought I’d relay a couple of my experiences from the class.

The Adjustments:

I had been diving single tanks up until a few weeks before the course, but since the rest of the team seemed interested in taking it in a double set up I thought I’d give them a try. I ended up getting a pool dive and a couple ocean dives with the doubles before the course. Before the class during the practice dives I was fighting a little to maintain my balance, with the rig definitely feeling head heavy to me. I could balance them out but it required a little more a conscious effort as far as body position. During the backplate adjustment session during the class I was a little skeptical “ so low on my back?” I questioned , but in the water it all became apparent with a much better weight distribution. This lead to an improved more stable platform from which to perform all the skills we would be learning during the class. I felt this was one of the key points towards making all the skills a little more manageable and generally making diving in doubles a lot more fun.

The Kicks:
I had the general idea of the different kicks before the class but being pretty tall my modified versions would be considered normal versions by most. Apologies to Beto, Rob and Susan (maybe Doc) for the occasional errant back kick to the face.

The Controlled Ascents:

We had a feeling that the controlled ascents would be difficult for the team and low and behold they were. I feel that if we practice them they will close in on the 3ft window.

I’d would also like to thank the instructors Beto, Rob, and Susan (Doc too for the videoing) and Kathy and Peter for being great team mates.

-Erik

I had been diving single tanks up until a few weeks before the course, but since the rest of the team seemed interested in taking it in a double set up I thought I’d give them a try. I ended up getting a pool dive and a couple ocean dives with the doubles before the course.

You did incredibly well for having such little experience in the doubles. It's amazing how solid you are in the water! I really appreciated your support and would not have done as well without you as a teammate. You and Peter deserve all of these congratulations too!! I look forward to diving together soon!

The Controlled Ascents:[/B]
We had a feeling that the controlled ascents would be difficult for the team and low and behold they were. I feel that if we practice them they will close in on the 3ft window.

I agree! With a bit of pratice, I'm sure we'll all nail that 3' window soon :)!

It's good to hear from you Erik.

Last edited:
Hi Kathy

You have gone a long way in a short time! I can still see you doing regulator recoveries in the Absolute Scuba Pool in Bali / Indonesia in 2006.

Who says that people who learn Scuba on holiday are no good? :wink:

Hi Kathy

You have gone a long way in a short time! I can still see you doing regulator recoveries in the Absolute Scuba Pool in Bali / Indonesia in 2006.

Who says that people who learn Scuba on holiday are no good? :wink:

Thanks Stijn!!! Wow, it's great to see you here! That was quite a vacation, I had no idea I'd end up with a scuba c-card & addiction.

I'm so glad I walked into that IDC and met you. Thanks so much for really stressing those early basic skills such as buddy awareness & predive checks, it's made all the difference :)!

Next time I'm back to Bali I'd love to go diving :)!

Last edited:
I signed myself up for this? Wow, what am I thinking? :shakehead:

Thanks! Great write up. Hope I can do half as well as you did, when it's my turn! Congrats!!!

Congratulations and thanks for the great writeup and pics :D I am taking it this summer with Keithdiver and gypsyjim.

You left out someone:confused:CJM is also in the class

Enjoy your class! I hope you get a chance to dive together before taking Fundies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom