Sidemount Diving, Cozumel Trip, Do You?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want the benefit of redundancy in Cozumel you could do what I do, bring a 19 cu ft pony and sling it. Back roll into the water, no holding anyone up.

Problem solved on your vacation trips.

Yeah, that would work. I just do not sling pony bottles at home and I hate to buy one for this trip and all that just to use it once a year or less :(

Redundant gauges?
SPG on a low pressure port?
Explain please

Great eyes both of you!

Yes, SlugMug is absolutely correct...but, I do not need to tell him that :wink:

I was considering brining my 2nd MK25 along as a backup...but...the chances are so low, and the diveshop has everything as backup if I really need it.

This MK25 [an old MK20 ambient chamber but MK25 everywhere else] has about 65 dives the last year and had an initial IP of 122 and then 125 at the 1min mark. Then, I closed the tank and did a 10min leak check...I could not tell any drop. I will dive this reg soon for bubble, function, and practice testing.

Getting closer to the trip!

Great eyes both of you!

Yes, SlugMug is absolutely correct...but, I do not need to tell him that :wink:

I was considering brining my 2nd MK25 along as a backup...but...the chances are so low, and the diveshop has everything as backup if I really need it.

This MK25 [an old MK20 ambient chamber but MK25 everywhere else] has about 65 dives the last year and had an initial IP of 122 and then 125 at the 1min mark. Then, I closed the tank and did a 10min leak check...I could not tell any drop. I will dive this reg soon for bubble, function, and practice testing.

Getting closer to the trip!
My save-a-dive kit is perhaps a little over-stocked, but I have a spare 1st & 2nd stage, hoses, and button-spg in there. I suppose it's enough I could slap together a pony-regulator. If you bring the first-stage, either put it in a plastic bag, or install port-plugs, to keep dust/water/debris/etc out of it.

Yeah, but do you take all that on vacation? I can see having all that in my car...but...not when going on a decently far away tropical vacation...

The further I am away from home, the more spares I bring.

Yeah, but do you take all that on vacation? I can see having all that in my car...but...not when going on a decently far away tropical vacation...

When I go away on vacation with my wife I take a complete reg set, as well as a spare wing bladder on top of minor stuff like O rings and cable ties etc. I then have available items to either scavenge parts from or to replace as a whole. Although I dive a Stealth Tec with redundant bladder, the components on the spare wing can fit mine if I need it too.

This might seem excessive, but all of our vacation diving is at boutique centres or boats which are off the beaten track. If something goes down it's unlikely other that maybe hoses or O rings they will be able to repair or have spares

If my trip coincides with a servicing window, then I plan to get at least 10 dives on the gear prior to departure. Other than that basic pre pack checks of double checking for leaks & double checking the hardware.

Fortunately I've never had a significant breakdown on vacation, but I've had some minor things especially straight off the plane, which I could have ignored, but having the parts mean it gets sorted, and I prefer being self sufficient. as well as having the complete part means its a swap rather than rebuild between diives.

I'm not saying my rationale is the best way. Two of use means more baggage weight available which may not be available to a single traveller on a budget seat, but it's a system that works well for us

If going SM (lets say single) why not put the tank on first, then roll in. I just started SM diving and while I didn't have a boat to roll in from, I had to practice going in with the tank(s) on several times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom