Sidemount Cave Diving Helmets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone had the opportunity to try the new LightMonkey helmet? I have heard it is a copy of a good helmet that is no longer made. No foam but it does have an adjustable plastic strap.

Light Monkey Helmet - Dive Gear Express

LM had ACE do a custom production run of the discontinued AP1000 helmet mentioned in post #10, so it's an original not a copy.

Dave

Worked well in pool. Will see in the cave tomorrow. Haven't DPV'ed it yet. I'll let you know after this weekend.

Last edited:
Bump helmet

My husband found a "bump" helmet, manufactured here locally. It is used by commercial divers, doing work under boats, to help prevent them from bumping their heads on the hulls. Since it is designed for in water use, he had no foam to remove. Just customized it with brackets to hold secondary lights and has been quite pleased with the results.

If anybody is interested in more details, or photos, please let me know. When we're both home together, I can have him dig it out of his cave kit and get the manufacturer and some pics.

I purchased one of their helmets 2 years ago. I love it. I just called the manufacturer and they no longer make the bump helmet. He said they only sold 60 in 5 years. He is looking around the warehouse to see if he can put one together for me.. I want a spare if it is available. AL CLEMENTS IN COW.jpg

Bump helmet

[Top Shelf Marine just called me and they found enough material in the warehouse to build 3 helmets. I ordered one for myself as a back up. Only 2 left. Great price at $29.95. :D QUOTE=shellmoundal;7502026]I purchased one of their helmets 2 years ago. I love it. I just called the manufacturer and they no longer make the bump helmet. He said they only sold 60 in 5 years. He is looking around the warehouse to see if he can put one together for me.. I want a spare if it is available.View attachment 216495[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking of looping double-sided velcro instead of zip-ties for attachment so the lights are removable.

Snoopy loops, bungee.
Removable under water.

These helmets are really hard to find :(

There is a good helmet that you can mount rails on and it is patterned after the military fast ballistic. Four point chin strap, movable cushions and almost neutrally buoyant . the pads will saturate after a time and when you install lights, goes negative.

Here's an EBay shortcut. I have one and love it.

Tactical Airsoft Emerson Helmet Low Price Version with Rails Mount Black | eBay

And the most cost effective UV light you will ever buy.

Waterproof Diving 3X XPE LED Flashlight Torch Lamp UV Light 10W 365 395nm Scuba | eBay

And the white light.

5000 Lumen 60m CREE XM L T6 LED Diving Flashlight Torch Scuba Light Lamp US | eBay

IMG_20130813_170250_770[1].jpgIMG_20130813_170302_373[1].jpg

Last edited:
There is a good helmet that you can mount rails on and it is patterned after the military fast ballistic. Four point chin strap, movable cushions and almost neutrally buoyant . the pads will saturate after a time and when you install lights, goes negative.

Here's an EBay shortcut. I have one and love it.

Tactical Airsoft Emerson Helmet Low Price Version with Rails Mount Black | eBay

And the most cost effective UV light you will ever buy.

Waterproof Diving 3X XPE LED Flashlight Torch Lamp UV Light 10W 365 395nm Scuba | eBay

And the white light.

5000 Lumen 60m CREE XM L T6 LED Diving Flashlight Torch Scuba Light Lamp US | eBay

View attachment 217021View attachment 217022
May I ask, why the UV light?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I used an UV night light once and it was the only way I saw a stone fish. With the UV he stood out like a sore thumb, without it I could not find the fish in the vegetation on the wreck's deck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom