Sidemount BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I side mounted last year in Tulum but would have back mounted in Coz. yes, I brought both sets of gear. :D
Due to flight baggage limits (20 kg/44 lbs per bag) I bring sidemount & move a 2nd stage & wip to my long hose reg to go backmount. My SPG hoses are still long, & I loop them under 2" inner tube (for now) when sidemounting.

I don't want to bash UTD but I wanna comment on that video.
The most difficult thing when designing a sidemount rig is finding enough space for the wing to expand. You need to distribute the volume while remaining flat and 17l/0.6 cuft 4.5 gallons is not small. I have designed several rigs now and I have compared it to others. I really had a hard time making the wing big enough to fit this much volume.
Could somebody fill this this thing with water? I would love to know how much lift this and other wings really have.
Not a problem, Bennno, I can totally fill and see how much water it takes, kinda curious now myself. I'll let you know how I make out.

Do you side mount in the Caribbean or that just a doubles thing for you, like it is me?
I see a lot of SM in the Carribean, sadly it's me.

Due to flight baggage limits (20 kg/44 lbs per bag) I bring sidemount & move a 2nd stage & wip to my long hose reg to go backmount. My SPG hoses are still long, & I loop them under 2" inner tube (for now) when sidemounting.
I think we have a fifty pound limit, so no probs here.

I think we have a fifty pound limit, so no probs here.
Used to be 50 lbs here also, I think Air Canada is still 50 LB,
but West Jet & Air Transat dropped to 44 when our dollar took a nose dive

I side mounted last year in Tulum but would have back mounted in Coz. yes, I brought both sets of gear.

I do the same on Mexican trips. I usually like to take a day or so off from the caves to dive on the reefs off Playa.

Not a problem, Bennno, I can totally fill and see how much water it takes, kinda curious now myself. I'll let you know how I make out.
Thanks, that'd be cool. The sms75 also looks kinda small for the lift it's supposed to have.
I have a modded SMS100 and when I had a little screw up last summer, I had swim on the surface for quite a bit and I could hardly stay afloat... which was weird since "38 lbs" should have been enough by a good margin.

I've used the SMS 75 with my HP 120's, no issues. One of my students dives a SMS100 with LP 85's and is weighted almost perfect with 8 lbs. (drysuit).

I've used the SMS 75 with my HP 120's, no issues. One of my students dives a SMS100 with LP 85's and is weighted almost perfect with 8 lbs. (drysuit).
I bought the SMS100 from Edd, so it's pretty much the same as the 75... I used the 75 too.
When I'm diving it's great. I would just like a little more lift for 'choppy' water. So for lake and cave diving it's enough... for ocean diving I'd like just a little more, just for comfort.

Hey Bennno, not counting the water I splashed around the sink, I got about 14 liters into the wing (alpha/delta, claimed lift is 37#). I estimate that it was about 3/4 or more full of water. There was some room for expansion when I sealed it and then inflated the rest with air. So I'd say it could hold about 16 or so liters. I'll do a calc to figure lift in pounds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom