Sidemount BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm. huge fan of the Nomad LTZ... no good for back mount though. I have a back mount solution for when I back mount, including regs. I've seen too many mistakes made as people try to reconfigure their gear from one to the other. The mistakes translate into frustration and take away from the fun and enjoyment of the dive. I do use the same tanks, so I have to either remove or install my tank harness, but other than that, I try to keep both kits pretty separate.

I'm. huge fan of the Nomad LTZ... no good for back mount though. I have a back mount solution for when I back mount, including regs. I've seen too many mistakes made as people try to reconfigure their gear from one to the other. The mistakes translate into frustration and take away from the fun and enjoyment of the dive. I do use the same tanks, so I have to either remove or install my tank harness, but other than that, I try to keep both kits pretty separate.

@NetDoc I believe I'll end up copying your strategy... up to this point, after everyone's comments seems the most reasonable path

I put together a list of current sidemount systems, that you might find useful.

In addition to dual-purpose (back/sidemount) BCDs, there are also systems that convert pure backmount wings for sidemount: Sidemount Adapters. Useful if you are on a tight budget, already own a backmount rig and just taking the first investigatory steps into sidemount diving.

Dual-purpose rigs, being a compromise, will rarely offer the same performance as a dedicated, designed-for, sidemount system. As others have said, they can lead to frustration and diminished enjoyment. However, the benefit is that they can save you a lot of money, compared to buying two separate rigs for backmount and sidemount.

The first step in selecting a rig is to determine what is most suitable for the diving in your area. It helps to understand that there are two primary strands of sidemount design; essentially for cold-water (steel cylinder) diving and warm-water (aluminum cylinder) diving. More information about that here: The Two Schools of Sidemount Heritage.

Once you've narrowed down that option, it is time to consider brand-specific factors; like wing buoyancy, need for redundancy, cost and bulk/size.

Buying a vastly over-sized wing can be counter-productive unless you have a need for substantial buoyancy. Bulk/size is important if you travel regularly. Redundancy (bladder) is beneficial if you tech dive (and needed if you dive/teach for TecRec without a drysuit).

Cost factor is an individual issue. Jay already posted a link for the UTD system at $315... that's a really sweet price. You could get that, plus a backmount wing/BCD for the cost of some complete dual-purpose rigs on the market.

Yes not to mention that the UTD is a dual-purpose rig that does work. But don't listen to owners...

Here's a YouTube video explaining the delta wing, I would like to add the complete Z system (manifold, QC6 connectors etc) isn't necessary for traditional sidemount.
And just to make me look fanatical, they are on sale for $315, North America store. Diverightinscuba carries them as well and price matches.

I don't want to bash UTD but I wanna comment on that video.
The most difficult thing when designing a sidemount rig is finding enough space for the wing to expand. You need to distribute the volume while remaining flat and 17l/0.6 cuft 4.5 gallons is not small. I have designed several rigs now and I have compared it to others. I really had a hard time making the wing big enough to fit this much volume.
Could somebody fill this this thing with water? I would love to know how much lift this and other wings really have.

Last edited:
@NetDoc I believe I'll end up copying your strategy... up to this point, after everyone's comments seems the most reasonable path
Thanks for the kind words. I'm sure you'll be happier in the long run.

I'm a Dive Rite fan. I started out with a transpac, single back mount, then twin aluminums.
I found a backplate & wing more stable with twin steels however.
2 1/2 years ago I transitioned to sidemount & converted my transpac to a Nomad.
I dive in a drysuit year round in Canada, & a 3 mm wetsuit when vacationing in the carribean.
Just R&R the book-screws to move the wing higher, stow the tank bungies, adjust the wing bungie & add the cam bands & the nomad dives a single backmount quite nicely. Normaly the wing is sandwiched between the pack & tank but I found the change over to be time consuming & unnecessary. I leave the wing & infront of the pack & attached to the waist belt (to prevent tacoing in sidemount). The padded back pad isn't needed with a dry or wetsuit on. (IMHO).
You'll pay more going this route, but being modular there are various sized wings to meet your requirements.

Last edited:
Do you side mount in the Caribbean or that just a doubles thing for you, like it is me?
Depends on the diving I'm doing. I still consider myself a side mount newb & I'm still tweaking my rig.
So if I'm with other side mounters, I go side mount. They don't mind that I'm still figuring things out.
On my last trip to Tulum, I was at Gran Cenote & Mystic River so I was side mounting.
This year in Cuba, I went single back mount.

I side mounted last year in Tulum but would have back mounted in Coz. yes, I brought both sets of gear. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom