Sidemount and "tec" training...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, and Bob Henn already came up with an innovative SM jacket-style BC he made by adapting his sewing machine to take monofilament line. It fits more like a vest vs. a jacket. He showed it to Lamar years ago, but it was never added to the DR product line. I think the point is not to wait on the commercial manufacturers to deem the next new idea profitable enough to warrant mass marketing (and yet they made that butt pillow thing?). You have to make these innovative tweaks yourself. Or, just be happy with what's available off the shelf.

Dave

Oh, and Bob Henn already came up with an innovative SM jacket-style BC he made by adapting his sewing machine to take monofilament line. It fits more like a vest vs. a jacket. He showed it to Lamar years ago, but it was never added to the DR product line. I think the point is not to wait on the commercial manufacturers to deem the next new idea profitable enough to warrant mass marketing (and yet they made that butt pillow thing?). You have to make these innovative tweaks yourself. Or, just be happy with what's available off the shelf.

Dave

You are right I am sure there are a lot of things that have good R&D but never make it to the manufacturing phase. If what is out there is selling well,having something different and unique can bring a lot of risk. My first sidemount rig was a jacket BC converted,and I have to admit the inflatation around the torso was great. From a cave diver's standpoint it made restrictions very easy,not to mention the streamlining.

It can certainly be done, Patoux01.

I took normoxic trimix in SM. I think your instructor pool has little SM deco experience, is all.

Thanks for the name of Andy Davis, I'd already looked him up, philippines isn't currently on my "to-do" list as I prefer diving here in Australia (I'll probably never get back here, while there's a chance I end up in Asia someday). From what I've heard he's rather "extreme" in his training, in the good way of the word, like going through very very small holes etc, and more looking at making very good sidemount wreck divers than "just" the average 40m dive. Not sure if that's clear, I'll rephrase it. From what I've heard, it'd be best in order to take the most out of his training to already be very familiar with deco dives, usual wreck-related stuff etc. If I happen to head in that direction, I'll definitely drop him an e-mail.

Training progresses from the basic to the "extreme". The 'small holes' stuff doesn't come until 'Advanced Sidemount' (differs from Tec Sidemount), for which the prerequisites are Full Cave and/or Technical Wreck.

Basic sidemount (I offer PADI and ANDI courses) is very fundamental in scope... properly rigging your kit, developing optimal trim (diver and cylinder) and buoyancy, core emergency protocols...and general usage; for instance: appropriate water entries/exits.

Technical sidemount encompasses basic sidemount, but adds the use of stage/deco cylinders. The PADI/TecRec course includes some additional emergency drills like feather breathing and 1st-stage swap-overs. There's normally some actual or simulated deco profiles in the training dives.

Training, IMHO, should always 'begin with the end in mind'... and that's how I train my divers. Basic training should provide the platform for subsequent progression to higher levels. Sidemount works admirably for those who've had effective tuition.... I can't help but think some of the negative comments made about sidemount technical diving stem from those who either don't understand, or haven't received good training in sidemount.

I just completed a technical program (Tec45-50) for a backmounted diver. I dove/instructed the open-water dives in my usual sidemount. We carried 2x Al100 primary and 2x Al80 deco. Like every other back-mount student I've had in recent years, they are now considering converting to sidemount for future technical diving.... because the myths were busted and the student saw just how effective, flexible and comfortable sidemount can be...

I use sidemount for all dives down to ~55m, beyond that I think CCR is the way forwards: entirely due to the cost of He. I'd sidemount bail-outs on CCR though :wink: When I win the lottery... I'll be using dual-sidemount CCR..

Two 40cft aluminums will offer more gas and are superior in both drag and weight.
You also stay more balanced than when carrying the weight on your back.
There are also a lot of possible single tank options.

Yes, but that is not backmount in the conditions as far as you described them.

Of course not, I wouldn't expect you to ever acknowledge that another system might actually be preferable. But just for giggles we have numerous 300ft deep wrecks up here. They aren't often done on OC but when they are it requires doubles 104s/130s pumped up. A bottom stage, and 3 deco gases. And the current friggin' screams. You have to jump in with everything on ready to go, and the scooter trigger unlocked. Getting cylinders handed down to you is impossible, ditto hanging them on gear lines off the edge of the boat.

Now I have done 4 stage dives in sidemount, (4 AL80s and 2x hp100s plus a 40cf tank of O2, plus a scooter) It was in a cave but I could gear up at my leisure. That's silly when you have a 5 minute window to splash 3 divers on a hot drop high current wreck. SM is a terrible tool for that job, in part because its ignoring perfectly good space to put stuff (on your back!)

And as Bob pointed out, I dive backmount, sidemount, and now a rebreather. I bring the right tool for the job and don't try to force the wrong gear on the wrong dive. You can do whatever you want but advocating sidemount is the greatest thing ever and will take over all other configurations is just silly and shortsighted.

---------- Post added November 21st, 2014 at 07:53 PM ----------

When I win the lottery... I'll be using dual-sidemount CCR..

Where you going to put the O2 and dil?

Not sure who you plan on taking MOD1 with using a bailout breather, but have fun :p

Of course not, I wouldn't expect you to ever acknowledge ...
Oh, I acknowledge that you could only do the described dive backmounted.
I couldn't! I would simply sit on the bench trying to get up without even moving an inch until someone took the tanks off me again.
You could only get me into the water with that amount of weight with a crane (and that would be a lot easier sidemounted).

To be able to drive in that area I would have to (e.g.) rent a zodiak, have it drop a line with the tanks and gear up in the water or spare myself the useless effort of trying. An alternative would be DevonDiver's rebreather concept, but I could never afford that.

I can only carry a comparable amount of gas in a sidemount config and will fail when I try to add the first or second stage to a backmounted setup while not in the water.

In my opinion someone who is able to do what you described backmounted, will also be able to do the same sidemounted, but with a different combination of tanks perhaps.

---------- Post added November 22nd, 2014 at 11:50 AM ----------

One idea for such a dive in sidemount is the 'floating clipline':

You use a clipline connected to a closed SMB and drop it with the tanks after the diver has moved a few feet away.
He will gear up in a few feet of depth, but strong current will sweep him and his tanks away at first anyway.

Another option would be the 'dead wale approach'. :eyebrow: Gear up lying down and have the crew roll you over the side :rofl3:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Andy, just to give you a cardiac......UTD has a SM CCR........[emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HI Patoux01, let me know who you end up training with for your course and how it all went. I am working on deciding who I am going to train through here in Sydney, likely I will go side mount if possible. I will get a set of twins and break that down. Works great for OW with my partner, one tank each then when I go off to some side mount dives I'll just take the other cylinder!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom