sidemount and DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mako Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just saw a pic in general scuba discussions of a sidemount diver.

I was going to ask there why sidemount is not DIR (I have heard that it is not), but thought I would get accused of trolling if I asked it there. It is not a troll, keep the answers simple for a simple stroke tho.

It seems to me that sidemount is a good streamlined simple configuration. What tennet of DIR does this violate.

:06:

I'm not expert by any means, but other considerations aside, it's not DIR because it's different. Part of DIR is being standardized so your teammates don't have to wonder where your knife, valve, regulator, or any other part of your gear is. It's in the same place theirs is.

If you dive in a different configuration, it isn't standard anymore.

There's some DIR concepts of sidemount; I know MHK has mentioned it before. I don't know if he ever went into specifics; you'd have to do some searching.

I think some of the WKPP including JJ have been playing with side mounts.

MHK did describe the WKPP side mount rig. I don't remember if he did it in open forum or in a PM though. As it's been explained to me the WKPP reserves sidemount for when there's no other way and GUE doesn't teach sidemount.

cancun mark:
I just saw a pic in general scuba discussions of a sidemount diver.

I was going to ask there why sidemount is not DIR (I have heard that it is not), but thought I would get accused of trolling if I asked it there. It is not a troll, keep the answers simple for a simple stroke tho.

It seems to me that sidemount is a good streamlined simple configuration. What tennet of DIR does this violate.

:06:

GUE has not come out with a sidemount harness. As for simplicity, durability and maximum streamline our Armadillo harness I feel has been profected over the last couple years in all types of enviroments.

I myself will not dive anything but Armadillo sidemount.

Curt Bowen:
GUE has not come out with a sidemount harness. As for simplicity, durability and maximum streamline our Armadillo harness I feel has been profected over the last couple years in all types of enviroments.

Care to advertise anything else you sell?

Curt Bowen:

And where can I buy one of these reasonably priced Armadillos Curt??........ Sheesss,. and people complain about the PADI guys.....lol

Actually I saw the photo on another thread and have investigated the armadillo link in ADM before. It looks great except for the pricetag, I guess they will get cheaper if you can get it more widely accepted.

As far as the standardization, what if two divers are diving the same sidemount rig?

cancun mark:
And where can I buy one of these reasonably priced Armadillos Curt??........ Sheesss,. and people complain about the PADI guys.....lolQUOTE]

Price a backplate, harness with all stainless d-rings and a set of wings with cam straps and extra clips.

Diverite?
Halcyon?
OMS?

Tell me how much you would spend - retail price?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom