Side of Butt Dump

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ManBearPig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am purchasing the gear to make the transition from BC to BP/W. When I went to get the HOG brand wing, I noted the butt dump was on the Left side. My BC has the butt dump on the right side and that is what I am used to. In reading through various threads on here it seems like most of the tec wings in deed do have the dump on the Left. Is this the case that the dump is supposed to be on the Left, are there any with the dump on the Right, and is there a compelling reason to switch sides as it will take some getting used to?

Is this the case that the dump is supposed to be on the Left, are there any with the dump on the Right, and is there a compelling reason to switch sides as it will take some getting used to?

On BP/W setups I'm pretty sure the rear dump is universally on the diver's left side. (Perhaps there's one with it on the right, but I've never seen one.) Not sure exactly why that is.

As long as you have both a left and right arm, the transition should be pretty easy.

:eyebrow:

Also, the majority of drysuits that I have come across have the exhaust valve located on the right shoulder making it a simple maneuver to - slightly - dip to the right to vent both wing and suit at the same time.

I believe the reason is so that all buoyancy control is handled by one arm.

That's right. In a typical "tech" setup, all buoyancy control is handled with your left arm, and your depth gauge is on your right wrist. That way you can monitor your depth on the right while making adjustments on the left.

My Dive Rite travel wing has the rear dump on the right. My Oxycheq wing has it on the left. You get used to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom