Side mount config.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bwanar

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Can anyone direct me to a site that explains proper side mount configuration? Is it just as simple as the standard deco slings? What about the lack of redundancy?

The IANTD are the folks you want to visit with on side-mount diving kit configuration.

There is really no one answer to sidemount configuration. You'd think getting a bunch of backmount divers to agree on the perfect configuration would be hard,it will nearly be impossible for sidemounters. The prevailng attitudes are 1) build it out of an old jacket style BC 2)Use the transpac either a. DiveRites recommendation b. or Bill Rennakers modification 3)out of the box armadillo. I've used the transpac configuration for years,but it doesn't look like anybody's,and is very unique,which unfortunately you'll run into a lot with sidemounters. Typically what you'll do is follow somebody's style,and modify it significantly. The biggest problem is rarely will you find anything you assemble,and ready to dive that is flawless,there is a lot of tweaking. My suggestion is to carry your question(s) over to TDS,where there is a page dedicated to this,and is visited by many sidemounters.

The system is redundant by following rules of independent doubles. You just have to have a self sufficient attitude since gas sharing is nearly impossible.

The sidemount config is a very personal thing. You need to understand a few basics of how the concept works.

First know that sidemounters are very independent divers and need to be very disciplined.
You need to streamline your BC as much as you can and at the same time protect vital areas such as the inflator mechanism at the bladder joint. Some BC's are made with sidemount in mind such as the Armadillo while others like any Dive Rite or Zeagle with a back inflate bladder can be used with a little adjustment
The cylinders need to be held in and down as much as possible without making it difficult to access valves. The valves will be up under your armpit. Having a left and right valve helps.
Items such as lights and cutting tools need to be tucked up and into your side without interferring with the tanks.
As the tanks are worn lower than normal you may need to adjust for your trim by counter balancing your weight
Each reg will be similar to that of a stage bottle reg in that they will have a spg and a secondary, one will need to have a BC inflator hose. Some divers use long hose but this is not the norm most just use a standard length octo hose. Each second stage will have a clip on it or a bungee on one depending on how you config.

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com/armadillo.html

All week long I was thinking about sidemount configuration and browsing web pages. Actually I was looking for pony bottle for redundancy but finally finished with 80 cf alum tank for side mount in addition to 120 cf steel tank which I usually dive. So now I'm thinking about independent doubles but do not which configuration is better: one tank on the back of BC (OMS 94 lb. wing) and second tank rigged on my left side (of course both tanks will be the same) or have both tanks sidemounted but then I have to find solution how to ajust wing/harness/backplate to prevent wing folds.:06: :06:
Don't ask me why don't I want to get bands and manifold (I have several reasons) =) Mostly dive in the quarry (100 feet max)

Found couple of nice links like this http://www.cavediver.net/archives/index.html but still would like to know your opinions=)

Thanks,

Anton

Thanks everyone I will check them out. I was kinda wondering about mounting the wing on the Transpac I got to try this out. In hindsite it seems my Zeag. tech BC may be a better bet. Thanks also for your recommendations!

Bwanar:
Thanks everyone I will check them out. I was kinda wondering about mounting the wing on the Transpac I got to try this out. In hindsite it seems my Zeag. tech BC may be a better bet. Thanks also for your recommendations!

It can so much simpler if you hook up with an experienced sidemounter for help in setting up your rig. There are a lot of tricks that can make it trim out and save you an abundance of frustration. You ever wonder why you never see anybody's sidemount rig up for sale on used gear sites,because what works great for them,can be a disaster for another.

Thanks karstdvr...I respect your opinion. Don't know any sidemounters personally. I really wanted to get a feeling for the set up and ways is may differ from deco bottle side mounting (for my trimix diving) not so much for caving, at least at this point. I hope to get around to cave diving.

Sidemounting is becoming a popular configuration for wreck divers too. I don't know of anybody that sidemounts deco bottles,but clips these bottles to their rig using bolt snaps. A bottle like this will hang below you,hopefully very closely.In sidemounting the bottles are bungeed so they are actually very thighly placed on your side. There are really no right sidemount configurations,because I've seen so many,they only thing that is right is where the tanks are positioned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom