SI Tech vs Viking dry glove systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Title says it all. Does anyone know the difference? Are they the same just stamped with a different stamp on them?

Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I own both. The SI Tech is very different from the Viking system. At least my old Viking. They both work great and each has their benefit. I would say the Viking probably has less of a chance of coming off, but not by much. SI Tech's pop on and then you turn the release that pushes it off. You can pull it off like the older COCVI gloves. The Viking's twist, as in lock, on and off, which can be hard to doff sometimes if overtightened. The biggest benefit of the SI Tech is the ability to switch your drysuit to a system that allows seal changes in the field. SI Tech Permanent Wrist Rings I am upgrading to the SI Tech just so I can do field services to my wrist and neck seal.
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/permanent-wrist-rings-gloves-p-2703.html

I've used both, but own the Viking system because I prefer it. I like the fact that you can change out a glove in the field, with no tools, in about three minutes. I also like the positive lock system, and if you overtighten it . . . well, that's what God gave us teeth for :)

assuming you have zip zeals you can easily change out both gloves and seals in the field right? or am I mistaken about this? I have face to face seen the vikings and the DC's but not the SI Tech so I'm not completely sure how they attach etc.

I've used both, but own the Viking system because I prefer it. I like the fact that you can change out a glove in the field, with no tools, in about three minutes. I also like the positive lock system, and if you overtighten it . . . well, that's what God gave us teeth for :)
The compression rings for the SI Tech are identical to the Viking compression rings and have the exact same feature to change the glove out in the field.

The difference is with the Viking rings you can not use permanent wrist rings in order to swap out a torn wrist seal in the field. I have the SI Tech rings for the wrists and the neck to install as soon as my Fusion seals are completely toast. They are pretty close right now...

Gonna try the new designed SI-tech dryglove system in a month or so, well let you know.

I have the SI tech rings on my DUI suit; works great with the zip seals. I have made on field changes when I had a torn glove. Only took minutes and I was ready to dive.

Built with robust feel and a very warm glove, they are large on the rings is the only complaint I have.

PeterC, is it possible to use that SiTech system and have dry gloves AND maintain the integrity of the wrist seals? That's a non-negotiable item for me; I'm always nonplused to see people who are willing to take the risk of flooding their entire suit if their dry glove ring or glove leaks.

The Viking rings can be used with wrist seals either glued to the suit or in the replaceable cuff type seals. If you are using the bayonet rings system it is not as likely that you are going to have wrist seal issues, and even if you do, the glove is keeping the water out anyway.

I use the Viking bayonet glove system and I find that the rings lock in about any position of the rings and do not leak because they use an o-ring seal.

The one bad thing that happened is that I had a ring pop off on entry on a dive. I think I am using the wrong inside retainer ring, but it is a lot easier to install than the color of ring the manual calls for with the Viking medium duty wrist seals.

PeterC, is it possible to use that SiTech system and have dry gloves AND maintain the integrity of the wrist seals?
Yes! The SI Tech wrist seal system comes with regular latex wrist seals to install. I feel the same about about maintaining wrist seals in place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom