SI Tech Recalls Diving Suit Hoses Due to Drowning Hazard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find it pretty sad that a (presumably blocked) drysuit inflation hose would be deemed to be the cause of a diver's death. I remember a hose that came with my Fusion drysuit (also recalled) that disconnected at least three times per dive--yet I'm still alive...

It sounds like the issue is the insert falls back into the first stage, which would create bigger problems than a stuck dry-suit hose.

I had the insert migrate to the inlet orifice on my bungied back up. If I'd been diving a single then it would probably have been 50/50 that it may have made it to my primary. In isolation not a big problem.. But as part of a cascade of events it may well have been big trouble...

Hmm.. I'll have to call the shop I got my new drysuit at this Spring. The hose that came with the suit falls into the recall category (YF1), but I have no insert in the end. I bet they removed the insert already as this recall has been out for a while, but if they did, they did not put the punch mark in the end to signify the recall has been done.

From: SI Tech Recalls Diving Suit Hoses Due to Drowning Hazard; One Death Reported Pictures of the hoses can be found at the above website.

October 14, 2009
Release # 10-010
Firm's Recall Hotline: (877) 348-3529
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

SI Tech Recalls Diving Suit Hoses Due to Drowning Hazard; One Death Reported

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Diving Air Hose for Dry Suits

Units: About 65,000

Manufacturer: SI Tech AB, of Brastad, Sweden

Hazard: The hose contains an insert that can dislodge during diving and restrict air flow to the diver, posing a drowning hazard.

Incidents/Injuries: SI Tech has received six reports of hose inserts dislodging, including one that was involved in the death of a diver in Los Angeles, Calif.

Description: This recall involves a dry suit inflation hose that connects a diver’s dry suit to the air supply and allows for the pumping of air into the suit to set up a positive pressure arrangement to help keep it watertight. The hose contains an air flow restricting insert that may be either black, blue or green in color. The batch code is stamped on the threaded metal end of the hose. They were sold with dry suits and also sold separately. Contact SI Tech for a list of batch codes included in this recall or visit the firm’s Web site, SI TECH AB

Sold at: Diving equipment retailers and distributors nationwide from July 2006 through February 2009 for about $45.

Manufactured in: Sweden

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using diving equipment that contains the recalled low pressure inflation hoses and contact SI Tech for the location of an authorized dealer for a free repair which involves removal of the hose insert, or to receive instructions on how to repair the hose.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact SI Tech at (877) 348-3529 anytime, visit SI TECH AB, or email the firm at recall@sitech.se

CPSC is still interested in receiving incident or injury reports that are either directly related to this product recall or involve a different hazard with the same product. Please tell us about it by visiting https://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/incident.aspx

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from thousands of types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard. The CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals - contributed significantly to the decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.

To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's Hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (301) 595-7054. To join a CPSC e-mail subscription list, please go to https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx.

Consumers can obtain recall and general safety information by logging on to CPSC's Web site at www.cpsc.gov.

Last edited:
FYI, removal of the restriction insert is a very easy procedure that can be done at home with only a few tools: pliers, screwdriver, and a wood screw. Check out the DIY step-by-step instructions at the SI Tech website. I successfully removed the inserts on a couple of my SI Tech drysuit hoses. The most time-consuming part of the process was removing/replacing the hose from the first stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom