Shuttle Launch Today!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefraff:
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." - T. S. Eliot

God Speed to these seven brave explorers, may they enjoy great success and have a terrific adventure.

Right On! Love that quote!

... Here's a toast... "May everytime feel like the first time!"

... oh wait :11:..... we're talking about shuttle launches here aren't we?!? :redface:

I also have NASA TV on my cable and am watching it on that. Excellent coverage on there, all sorts of cameras on the platforms and such. Right now they are talking about a standown due to issues. Showing astronauts coming back out of the discovery and it sounds like they are calling it a day. It appears to be something in the fuel cutoff sensor/low level nitrogen sensor. I hate all the problems that are coming up on the ground, but atleast they are fixing it before it goes up. I wonder what the astronauts are thinking about how they keep finding problems with the shuttle. Sounds like they have 3 redundant sensors, but they want to make sure everything is tip-top before they launch. I guess more news to come. Nasa TV is great. If you have it on your cable/satellite I would suggest tuning in. I just was watching cameras from in discovery showing the astronauts leaving the shuttle one by one. After leaving they had a camera right outside the discovery door on the platform showing the astronauts breaking down all their rigs. The astronauts appear to be in good spirit though as they are laughing and smiling with the gentleman that are helping them get out of their gear on the platforms. Pretty cool stuff to watch.

Matt

Better to be safe than sorry again....

So is that the official word from NASA, its not going today?

simbrooks:
Better to be safe than sorry again....

So is that the official word from NASA, its not going today?
That is what it appears to be. They are leaving the tanks full to do trouble shooting on why the cutoff sensor is malfunctioning. They are stating there is still 2 weeks left on this launch window. They are hoping for a launch tommarrow (that is what the commentators/announcers were saying), but they also stated that could be optomistic. I was watching people run around in Mission control and such trying to troubleshoot the problems. Who knows if they will have it ready by tommarrow. They have gotten the astronauts out of their launch suits and are transporting them back to their barracks. It definately appears to be a no-go to me. The announcers for the launch just said.. "I hope to be back here tommarrow for a launch, goodbye." and signed off.

CNN is now reporting it is scrubbed for today:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/07/13/space.shuttle/index.html

Matt

Scrubbed due to a faulty fuel sensor. No word yet on when the next attempt will be made. Supposed to have a press conference in about 1 hour.

Well it is the 13th

It's funny how the media coverage is soo scrutinizing now...no Shuttle launch was ever routine, but before the disaster launches would barely get any coverage...

Now if a technician breaks wind on the launch pad there is a breaking news story on every web site. TECHNICIAN BREAKS WIND ON LAUNCH PAD - SHUTTLE LAUNCH DELAYED .5 seconds as crew and shuttle command laugh and need to compose themselves.

:lol: that went over like a "you know what" in a spacesuit.

jepuskar:
It's funny how the media coverage is soo scrutinizing now...no Shuttle launch was ever routine, but before the disaster launches would barely get any coverage...

Now if a technician breaks wind on the launch pad there is a breaking news story on every web site. TECHNICIAN BREAKS WIND ON LAUNCH PAD - SHUTTLE LAUNCH DELAYED .5 seconds as crew and shuttle command laugh and need to compose themselves.

science channel last night had endless coverage of shuttle shows..i didn't even know they made that many..

Back
Top Bottom