Show us your Sealife weekend diving pics!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My gear is a DC1000 with a single Sealife external flash. I also used the flash diffuser on most of the shots (I am pretty sure all shown here had it flipped down) and the wide angle lens. I did have a lot of problems with backscatter on this trip because the water wasn't as clear as it could have been. The tropical disturbance that became TS Matthew brought more rain than is usual for Bonaire which kind of screwed up visibility. Anyway, I took over 1000 shots but I only think about 150 were acceptable.

These photos were post processed (levels adjusted, cropped) with Photoshop Elements. I did remove some stray backscatter spots but for the most part, these are what came out of the camera. I think the key is to get as close as possible and adjust the flash in such a way that it doesn't cause reflection of all the particles in the water. The 850 or so photos I deemed unacceptable were either way overexposed or underexposed (or the hind end of a fish). It takes some practice in trying to predict what the proper flash setting should be for the particular situation.

My gear is a DC1000 with a single Sealife external flash. I also used the flash diffuser on most of the shots (I am pretty sure all shown here had it flipped down) and the wide angle lens. I did have a lot of problems with backscatter on this trip because the water wasn't as clear as it could have been. The tropical disturbance that became TS Matthew brought more rain than is usual for Bonaire which kind of screwed up visibility. Anyway, I took over 1000 shots but I only think about 150 were acceptable.

These photos were post processed (levels adjusted, cropped) with Photoshop Elements. I did remove some stray backscatter spots but for the most part, these are what came out of the camera. I think the key is to get as close as possible and adjust the flash in such a way that it doesn't cause reflection of all the particles in the water. The 850 or so photos I deemed unacceptable were either way overexposed or underexposed (or the hind end of a fish). It takes some practice in trying to predict what the proper flash setting should be for the particular situation.

Cool thanks for the info :)

Looks like I just need to fool around with the camera more and hope there's not as much little particles floating around :)

Richbolduc,

A couple of things that I can see:
1) The vis is one thing. When you have a lot of particles floating in the water like in some of your pics, that can cause the cameras to have difficulty focusing.
2) It is important to make sure tha the focus setting on the camera is in the right setting. Refer to the manual on what the right distances/settings are for shooting underwater.
3) Zooming in on your subject underwater can get you too close and then the camera can't focus properly. Always best to get physically closer to your subject before using the zoom.
4) Make sure that your subject is in the middle of the frame to focus on it.
5) Maintian control over your boutancy, besides possibly touching down and stirring particles, if you focus and then move, that too can cause out of focus pics.

These are the most important points when it comes to focusing. Hope they help.

SeaLife Joe

Sealife Joe's post mostly had to do with focusing, and I think focusing is probably the biggest key to success. Taking time to let the camera focus properly makes all the difference in the world. Simply mashing the shutter button down and hoping for the best usually results in the worst.

Like to do my thing low-tec, snorkeldiving, Reefmaster Mini w/ WAL, no external flash.
If you feel like it, take a look at my Aruba Aug 2010 album posted in the members gallery, let me know what you think.
All the other albums were shot with the same gear on previous trips.

Here is a couple from Cozumel

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 64
Well here is some pictures from my weekend on the AquaCat in The Bahamas!!! Thanks to CoolTech for the focus light idea. My pictures came out very Nice!!! I have the DC1000 maxx with a focus light mounted on top, it worked like a charm!!![

IMG]http://picasaweb.google.com/110609665154150156476/AquaCatPics?authkey=Gv1sRgCJeWr-b71PGUhAE#[/IMG]

Pretty cool! :) Looks like that trip includes some beautiful underwater spots. Thanks for sharing.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom