Show of hands, please.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were 1st timers, rented a car and stayed at Infinity for a week in August. We got a good price on the rental car so even if the car sat for a few days, so what? We had it to explore. Back and forth from West Bay to West End was a breeze. Without the car we would have missed the horse in the road in Flowers Bay, the NY bagel place, the View place and the cool grocery store. Beautiful scenery, crazy divers, and so many stops yet to make, wishing we were there right now.

I've stayed at CCV and FIBR, both nice and a great way to get in a bunch of diving. But no more. I've found that staying in West End and using a local dive shop is much more fun. Variety is the spice, and it comes in the form of restaurants, bars, entertainment, and the general craziness of a little dive town. It also affords a chance to get out and see the place, and get an idea of what living is paradise is about.
Things you may miss at your resort:
The beaches at Paya Bay and Camp bay
Garifuna village of Punta Gorda
Oakridge water taxi tour
Sunday all you can eat steak and lobster brunch at Hole in the Wall restaurant in Jonesville. (this is a hoot. It's on a dock, got to by boat, where the ex-pats hang out).
The Iguana Farm, way cooler than it sounds.
Shopping in Coxen Hole
Zip lines
Mangrove tour
Worlds deepest tourist submarine (2000'!)
Etc etc etc
Rent a car, scooter, or grab a cab. Get out and about, there is no adventure in a sanctuary.

Yes! For sure go out and explore... Have stayed at both, but prefer West End much more than West Bay, lots of cool stuff to check out, fun restaurants, tons of dive shops..I recommend the local art gallery! (Forget what it's called, but it's near the White Church)... Rent a scooter and go for a self guided trip, you won't regret it!

Yes. Lots to see. Well worth it.

Oakridge water taxi tour
Sunday all you can eat steak and lobster brunch at Hole in the Wall restaurant in Jonesville. (this is a hoot. It's on a dock, got to by boat, where the ex-pats hang out).
The Iguana Farm, way cooler than it sounds.
Shopping in Coxen Hole
Zip lines
Mangrove tour
Worlds deepest tourist submarine (2000'!)
Etc etc etc
Rent a car, scooter, or grab a cab. Get out and about, there is no adventure in a sanctuary.

WOW !! Thats deep !

August was our second rip to Roatan. First time there, 5 years ago, we went to Coxen Hole to do a little shopping. Wandered around for a couple of hours. The worst part of it was the small children who latched on to us as soon as we got out of the cab and followed us around the entire time. They were wanting candy or ice cream or whatever and would not leave us alone. We finally got them some ice cream to see if they would leave; and of course they did not.

This last trip we went as far as the shark dive operation which was about a half hour from our resort. (Reef House) The sights were nice....the traffic was awful! 2 lane road with cars and trucks stopping anywhere they wanted, blocking traffic was the norm.

Didn't get as far as West End either time. but didn't really want to get involved in the mass tourist scene.

What "resort"? I've only been to Roatan once, but if I recall correctly, I got off the ferry landing, having arrived from the mainland, and took a bus to the West End, found some lodging, did my diving, and managed to take the bus to various villages on the island to check out what there was to see. I can't say I did much touring around on the island, but I did visit some of the towns and villages to see what they were like. Frankly, next time I would stay at a resort, as there didn't seem to be much to see on the island!

Thanks all, for your responses.....keep going, I want to hear it. As for me, for the record, we visited for a week at the end of August, we stayed at a rental house in the West End and toured the island from East to West.

Reason why I'm asking the question, is that we bought a bar/restaurant in the West End. Was (still am) trying to gauge how often resort guests venture out (if they do) and what it'd take to get them to do so....

What "resort"? I've only been to Roatan once, but if I recall correctly, I got off the ferry landing, having arrived from the mainland, and took a bus to the West End, found some lodging, did my diving, and managed to take the bus to various villages on the island to check out what there was to see. I can't say I did much touring around on the island, but I did visit some of the towns and villages to see what they were like. Frankly, next time I would stay at a resort, as there didn't seem to be much to see on the island!

What "resort"? Not much to see? Oh boy....here it comes.......

Back
Top Bottom