Show me your Nice Knife! Vintage BFKs welcome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Small hands can easily operate it.

Ohh I like your old Mares BFK, with the nice big guard...no fingers slipping onto that blade! So, how many do you carry?

When I'm diving local I only carry the Mares BFK. When I travel I bring the letter opener and the Blue Reef. Since we get a free checked bag with SouthWest I can bring my Blue Reef. The letter opener has made it through security dozens of times in my carry-on :)

Like I said, I'm going to make a small pocket for my Gerber and if it's against my SS backplate it might not show up on the x-rays so I might be able to just keep it on my BP/W. Or I might end up in the little booth with my hands up. Won't be the first time :wink:

@aquacat8

"Kelp would hang up on it, and I got so familiar with the feeling that I would just reach down and unloop the kelp without looking."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
KELP ? Way down south in Savannah, Georgia ?

SDM, 111
I was a California diver first! Got certified in Monterey, went abalone diving on the north coast, Did a bunch of trips to the Channel Islands!

The perfect knife for those days you suddenly realize you are diving in a bad neighborhood. I’m not talking about fending off aggressive lionfish, eels or sharks. I’m talking about “pre-dive” protection in West Palm Beach, Florida. This knife is very effective, that and a Glock....

B8C63BEA-A0C3-43CC-9594-F0ACB4764D8D.jpeg

This is my BFK

That's not a knife... :)

IMG_20180909_145038.jpg

I found the knife buried in the sand on the beach at La Jolla shores in 1982 while on vacation. I decided to visit the closest dive shop to see if anyone had lost it. They said it was purchased the week before by someone taking their OW. The story from them was the visitor had a bad experience on his qual dives, came back and returned all the gear that he could, said "nuts to this diving thing" and went home to Minnesota.

They had the scabbard in the back and gave it to me.

I think I actually dove it twice, then bought a real knife, and put this one in the backup gear bag. I doubt its been in the water since 1983.

I’m talking about “pre-dive” protection in West Palm Beach, Florida. This knife is very effective, that and a Glock....

That's rough, maybe just find a better hood..just sayin'.

@aquacat8, I have the little titanium knife in your picture (I think thats the dive gear express knife). It's a nice little back up knife that I keep in the event that I need to do some heavier line/prying work. I always dive with a trilobite line cutter also, and it's my "go to" for cutting lines. The ceramic blades on it don't rust or need sharpening.

That's rough, maybe just find a better hood..just sayin'.

Actually that was an attempt at humor, but we have walked out of a nice restaurant in WPB to hear gunshots not far away. The police stay very busy down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom