Show and tell at the ER

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freename

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm not sure where to post this, but this seems as good a spot as any. Today has been an... interesting day. At 5 AM, I was to wake to begin the day. This isn't so unusual... the unusual bit is that it wasn't my alarm that woke me.

From nowhere, static. Blasting through the apartment. It was as if someone was watching TV, maximized the volume, and found the snowiest channel imaginable. Which in a way might make sense, I imagine, as an effort to winterize this lovely warm season we're having... except that there is nobody else in my apartment. I woke with a start.

What was happening? I rushed around to try to pinpoint the senselessly infuriating noise (note to self: I may have found my new alarm clock tone?). Eventually I found it - it was coming from where my tanks were stored.

I quickly dove in to search for the culprit. It didn't take long to single out the tank.

But why? The valve was closed. The valve airway was blocked with my little bolt things. I fished the tank out and stood it up so I could look closer to figure out what was going on. My hand found the source of the air first, quickly followed by my eyes - the neck o-ring had failed. For no reason in particular either; these are practically brand-new tanks. If I had to guess, I'd say that the one tank whose "little inside snorkel thing" (my term for the dipstick) fell out and had to be repaired... I'm betting they misaligned the o-ring or damaged it when doing so, and it's been working its way out ever since. But it doesn't really matter.

I had no idea what to do... what do you do? I'm sure my neighbors now hate me, but for the next 15-20 minutes... I let it bleed.

Once it had bled to death, I noticed something peculiar on my hand. One of the fingers that had discovered the leak had an odd white 'blister'-looking spot. I went to wash and look closer; it turns out that the air had actually frozen a spot of ice on me. It slowly melted away, and I noted that it had actually cut my finger. Thinking nothing of it, I applied some polysporin, bandaged myself up, and was off to work.

Well, fast forward to later that morning. I was sitting at my computer, plugging away and... my hand started aching. The pain that had been local to the finger was starting to spread across it. So, being the masochist that I am, I started poking around. Literally. Does it hurt here? Here? Here?

... and I noticed something peculiar. It wasn't so much that it hurt... but now... I crackled.

It felt, and sounded, like I was the proud new recipient of surgically implanted bubble wrap.

This made me think... I wonder if I should be concerned. Obviously, I have air in my tissues now. One doesn't just become bubble wrap man without reason (... that would be an entirely useless super hero...) Was this the manual version of a subcutaneous emphysema? Did I just give myself an artificial, localized version of the 'bends'? Should I be concerned that a bubble will travel through my blood and into my heart or brain and... do worse things to me than give me an aching hand? I decided that, since I've never been injected by compressed air before... and since I've heard that having air injected into one's body can be a... bad thing... well, it was time to go to the hospital.

So, I went to the hospital. It was a lengthy wait; eventually a doctor saw me. She was fantastic - a diver herself, we agreed that the bubble wrap thing was "so cool" and compared some of our favorite dive spots. Then she sent me off to get some x-rays.

The x-rays show that yes, I do have bubbles in my hand. (Is anyone surprised at this point?) But, not as bad as it could have been apparently. This confirmed, we then took my show on the road.

Well, that is to say, she brought me around to various doctors around the room.

"Feel his right hand."

*insert very puzzled look*

"Do you know what that is?"

"Uhm..." *pokes some more*

Repeat.

I had become the ER version of a show and tell. Apparently this isn't an injury they see very much. Ha!

Long story... well, still long... she ended up getting me a tetanus shot, prescribing some antibiotics, and telling me that if it starts to swell and hurt that I should "be afraid... be very afraid."

Fun times.

And for the rest, I just have to wait for the bubble wrap to dissipate.

I'm not sure what the point of this post was, besides feeling that I needed to share it with... someone. And so the anonymous InterWeb should work. I guess looking over the whole thing, there are a couple things I might take away from this:

1) Failing scuba tanks make awesome alarm clocks, other than the fact that you can't "turn them off." That being said, I no longer fear it failing during a dive and me not noticing until I run out of air. There is NO way that someone can NOT notice that sound!

2) I really oughtn't try to 'touch the air' again. Especially not at high pressure. Bad idea.

3) Though this is admittedly a very... interesting experience, with some rather fascinating sensations, bubble wrap is way more fun when external to one's body. That said, I think I'm glad I went to the hospital for this - despite the wait, it's good to know that I... probably will not die from this. Maybe.

Subcu emphysema is a unique tactile experience.
Whenever I come across it in the field, I try to get new medics and students to feel it (after getting the permission of patient of course). It is a unique sensation for your fingers and unlike anything they have ever felt before. Also helps reinforce to palpate the chest wall when inspecting and auscultating.

Best description I have heard for it is rice krispies caught under the skin.

:lol:

I'm sorry -- actually, anyone who has had an arthoscopic (sp?) on their abdomen can tell you about this. They inflate your abdomen with air so they can see what they are doing in there . . . You have the crackles for about 24 hours.

Also, any mechanic who gets an injector to fire can have carp 'blown' into tissue - yes, dangerous, as injectors inject fuel.

It is good to know, though - I would not have though a leaking tank could put a fine pressure stream out to 'inflate' you hand. Thanks for sharing! :D

:lol:

I'm sorry -- actually, anyone who has had an arthoscopic (sp?) on their abdomen can tell you about this. They inflate your abdomen with air so they can see what they are doing in there . . . You have the crackles for about 24 hours.

Also, any mechanic who gets an injector to fire can have carp 'blown' into tissue - yes, dangerous, as injectors inject fuel.

It is good to know, though - I would not have though a leaking tank could put a fine pressure stream out to 'inflate' you hand. Thanks for sharing! :D

Laproscopic surgery = intraabdominal
Arthroscopic surgery = joint

Wow. That's the weirdest scuba-related injury I've ever heard about. And a great story!

Am I a bad person because I chuckled when I read it? You do have my sympathies, but man, that was a funny read! I can imagine the faces of the other doctors during that show and tell :rofl3:

Pressure injuries are nothing to mess around with. I carry a card in my wallet that has special instructions to medical personnel due to my day job as a waterjet operator. Working with pressures ranging from 50,000 to 87,000 PSI cutting various metals the risks of injury are much greater than with 3000 PSI in a scuba tank but the same principles apply. Infection, air bubbles entering the blood stream, in my case fine particles of sand, metal, etc. are all things the doctors and staff need to be aware of. In an industrial setting blow guns used to dry off parts are required by OSHA to have special vents to redirect the air flow should the nozzle get blocked by something like a hand. That's when the air supply can be less than 100 PSI.

Not as bad but similar to Jim, I am occasionally working with crews using airless sprayers for paint applications. Adding to your risk of air injection is the potential for injection of the paint (including latex, which i understand to be a significant hazard). Get healed up.....

I'm not sure what the point of this post was, besides feeling that I needed to share it with... someone.

Oh, yes. This had to be shared. I'm surprised how that worked, and good to know it can happen.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom