Shoulder release in BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For reasons that are non-negotiable and that I don't care to go into, I'm looking at putting a shoulder release into one of my backplates.

On my older backpacks that I dive without a crotchstrap, I use a release because I keep the shoulder straps much tighter. However, on those I use a weight belt buckle on the left shoulder, released by pulling down towards my chest. With a wing attached, I'm not sure this would be effective because of the inflator hose. So, I'm considering putting it on my right shoulder. I've gone through in my mind everything that might catch on it and it seems like it wouldn't be so bad. Comments? Alternate suggestions?

Aquaregia,

What solution did you ultimately choose? (Which shoulder? Weightbelt buckle? SS or plastic? Attached on the shoulder part, pull down to open; or attached on the waist belt part, pull up to open? And were/are you using an AIR 2 or similar, or simply a power inflator? Were/are you using a necklaced backup reg?) Did it work out in the end? How many and what kind of dives using this solution? Any "surprises," concerns, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

rx7diver

I'm using the DiveRite deluxe harness with the sternum strap removed. I find that the harness is harder to get in and out of than plain webbing because the very thin attachment to the d-ring in the middle of the shoulder straps tends to flex and turn instead of staying stable. I once hooked a boltsnap on a wrist seal and tore it. I tend to clip things accidentally to the d-ring in the middle of the harness rather than to the one for attachment. Adjusting the harness is very difficult because so many things need to change at once, and sometimes it's not possible to get something in the exact place you want it because of the attachments and releases. I haven't had any trouble with the plastic inline quick release, but I also haven't tried anything more than an AL80 on the Al harness.

I think I'll probably go back and try the weight belt buckle on the right shoulder at some point, but I'm pretty pissed off at the whole activity and can't really get up the motivation to spend time to try to make something "less bad". Regardless of how other people dive, I've seen no benefit from this and don't appreciate all this extra crap on my body.

I've had the two inch fastek quick releases on every rig I've ever had. Not one has ever come undone during a dive, on the boat gearing up, or otherwise. I broke exactly one of them, and that was in a suitcase with a bunch of other stuff and it probably got thrown around like crazy by the airline. I really don't think you'll have a problem with it.

Those plastic buckles are found on almost any backpack in the world, carrying 50-60 lbs in very high impact settings. I don't think they'll be a problem. They'd be more likely to let go on land when the weight of the tank is actually pulling on them, but I'd bet they'd work fine.

they have held up for 23 years on a BC I own, as well as on my hiking backpacks. So, unless you drop a tank on them, they will last....

I'm using the DiveRite deluxe harness with the sternum strap removed. ... I think I'll probably go back and try the weight belt buckle on the right shoulder at some point ...

Okay, thanks, Aquaregia. FWIW, I've experimented (using my SS Freedom Plate--which is very similar to the plastic backpacks--with no crotch strap) with a plastic weight belt buckle on the left shoulder, a SS weight belt buckle on the left shoulder, and one-piece, continuous webbing. I really like the simplicity of the one-piece solution. However, for me at this point, the convenience (and perceived increased safety for solo diving) of having a shoulder strap release trumps that simplicity--though I've found, as you suspected, that things get a bit too cluttered with the BC inflator hose and a D-ring and the weight belt buckle high on the left shoulder.

Next I will try a SS weight belt buckle on the waist belt part of the left shoulder strap. I have a strong suspicion that this is the solution I'll be most comfortable with and ultimately keep.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

P.S. I had to laugh at your description of your experiences with the DR Deluxe Harness. My first harness (c. 1994) was the original DR Deluxe Harness, purchased to be used with manifolded PST HP 100's. I almost immediately removed first the crotch stap and then the sternum strap. And then, like you, tried many other "adaptations" before ultimately giving up on it. (I still have the pieces, including the SS O-rings, around here somewhere!) Finally, I settled on simple webbing onto which I installed (sewed on) a plastic quick release on the *right* shoulder strap. This solution worked extremely well for a couple of seasons ... until I purchased my first Halcyon 3-C-cell Scout backup lights which I wanted to wear on my right shoulder strap ... !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom