Suggestion Should we have a politics subforum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
H2Andy

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
many users (myself included) would like to discuss politics on our favorite board (i.e. ScubaBoard)

management feels, with reason, that politics may be too divisive and cause more grief than it is worth.

let's compromise. i propose the following:

1. a probationary Politics Subforum will be created. At any time management feels the forum is "more trouble than it's worth" it has the right to close it.

2. membership will be a privilege. you will opt in, and if you abuse the privilege, you will lose the ability to post. this way, we will weed out bad posters until only civil discourse remains.

3. TOS will be enforced by Mods as elsewhere on the board, with the exception that politics will be allowed. any personal attack, mean language, or any other violation of the TOS will result in your loss of posting privileges. at management discretion, your loss of posting privileges will be temporary or permanent. i suggest three temporary loss of posting privileges for the first three infractions. on the fourth infraction, you will lose your right to post on the forum.

4. the members themselves must police the forum to keep management's work load to a minimum. the members must stop those who break TOS and must refrain from responding in kind. it's our job to keep the forum open and earn management's trust.

what do you all think?

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Politiks und Religion sind Verboten!

Remember the statement, "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's..."

I vote yes. I like the people that mudwrestle the most. Other people don't need to come in....

Look, lots of important things going on in the world right now. These are historic times and it is just so tempting for thinking people to spill it into other threads. I would think it would make voicing anything unpleasant in the diving threads unecesary....

Sometimes I wonder if the mods are against it because they like being "the enforcers".

Like, Kim, ...you know you would be in there..you couldn't stand being on the outside, you like a good debate.

H2Andy:
oh, i see... got it

no, i can't see who voted for what either
Exactly! :D

Now it's like one of those electronic voting machines......you know......no paper trail!

Hang on.......it IS an electronic voting machine! :eyebrow:

H2Andy:
oh, i see... got it

no, i can't see who voted for what either
So you didn’t pay your bribe to Diebold?

I'd rather that things stick to diving. If I wanted to talk politics, it would be easy enough to find a forum to do that. But, here is where I come to find information about diving. I know that you can cordon off the political talk, but if you start making sub-forums for things like politics, then why not religion, cars, food, anything that enough people wanted to discuss?

I think the fact that this board is dedicated to diving is what makes it so beneficial to so many people, I know it is for me.

A spot for politics of diving maybe, but, beyond that, just use the non-diving forum as the repository, then all I have to do is block one group, not every new non-diving sub-forum that got created.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill51:
So you didn’t pay your bribe to Diebold?

i think FLorida is using WalMart Election Technologies this year

catherine96821:
Sometimes I wonder if the mods are against it because they like being "the enforcers".
I don't know why people always jump to this conclusion. It displays a complete lack of understanding about how board decisions are actually made! Tell her Andy....you know what I mean! :eyebrow:

Just because some people want something....even sometimes if the MOST people want something...doesn't mean it's going to happen. There's a lot fewer people who decide this stuff than you might think.....in fact in the end there's only one.

No he didn't,
Kim. being CEO, would not accept it...........:D (smiley inserted here to mean it was a JOKE, did I botch it?)

so...if people don't want the discussion, why would they mind if the rest of "us" were off in our own little thread? It makes no sense, does it?

I have never been in the singles thread for example....who knows what kind of wild things go on in there?

and poor Jeff...has to hear about DIR through the grapevine now. That thread is pretty stale these days. Oh..I forgot they like it that way.

I think if you had one little political thread going, you could actually reduce your tolerance in the other ones. People could just duck out and go "over there" to discuss something...

You have this problem. People have bonded in weird ways and want to bounce things around. Other people are very happy to discuss their bcd in their carry on or not for weeks...it would just be really better...we could talk environmental issues, etc. I really think there are fewer enemies here than ever before, from what I have seen.

Discussion promotes tolerance...politics are infused in every issue..it's just where you draw the line. Lamont said made the point once that ommissions are just as political.

while i think the poll results may be persuasive, i don't think that's going to determine a policy change

like Kim says, it ultimately comes down to where Pete sees the board going

just giving him ideas

:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom