Should we feed the fish?

• Yes

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 66 77.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I were a fish, I'd prefer a treat now and then (weiners, tuna, squirt cheese, whole wheat rolls) from all the lake muck I have to eat.

Feeding them is also a learning experience. They come around in larger numbers and it's an opportunity to observe them up close, even some you don't normally see (the huge albino catfish).

As far as students panicking, what happens in deeper water or the ocean? They can't just bolt for the surface when they get scared. There's a lesson here somewhere.

Just my .02

Rick Murchison:
Now that's a hook, line & sinker statement!
Reminds me of a case out west several years ago when young female sea lions were showing up dead. All the "friends of the sea lions" were up in arms at the fishermen, and literally ready to hang the guilty party when caught, or at least make sure he ended up in jail for the rest of his life. Turned out it was a rogue bull "raping and murdering" the young females. Well... that made it all OK, 'cause it was "nature." HA!
Take some real ecology courses, not the pseudo-intellectual pap being passed out as hard science by the popular "man's the only bad guy" crowd. You'll find out that critters ain't as smart, or as nice, or as "balanced" as you think they are. Species have managed to drive themselves to extinction without our help since the beginning of life. The only difference is that now we have a chance to be good stewards and actually save a few.
I'm all for dropping hay to the elk herd in an extra hard winter.
(Oh, I forgot, the extra hard winter's our fault, too!)
Rick

I have no problem with any of your statements. I believe they are all true. I also believe in being a good steward and no, I don't believe that by feeding fish you are a bad steward. I do believe that we can do better. By the way, I have taken many courses in marine science. Not that it matters. I am not as stupid as you might think....

Take a look at this report
here is another one

cruiser:
As far as students panicking, what happens in deeper water or the ocean? They can't just bolt for the surface when they get scared. There's a lesson here somewhere.

Just my .02

Your right but at least by the time they have gotten to deeper ocean water, they will have gone through training in shallower water...

i went diving this time in Ralanga, and the fish had made tiny spears ... or maybe bought them from an enterprising local

anyway, they'd gang up on you with their spears and demand chicken liver

scary ****

These are some of our new cookie cutter and pasta machine made fish treats. They are all natural and can be made with quality foods available through fine companies such as Muenster Milling.

They are so good for them and the fish really go after them too !

Yes that is my hand and no the photo was not made at Clear Springs.
:D

Attachments

• fishfood.JPG
    fishfood.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 75
Oh man! You must be cold, because you just love the flames.

Has anyone mentioned feeding those cute great white sharks?

Frank, you should get together with Mike Tyson and mass produce those things. He may be able to get you a better mold or two. I do like the real tree gloves.

PvilleStang:
Frank, you should get together with Mike Tyson and mass produce those things. He may be able to get you a better mold or two. I do like the real tree gloves.

Tyson.... He's the guy that sells chicken isn't he ?
Chickens don't have ears :rofl3:

BTW ...those are White Water Outdoors brand gloves. 'Best 55 degree and above Neoprene gloves I've ever tried. ( no BS ) They are warm easy on the hands, smooth on the face and cheep too !

They really do put the fish at ease while you feed and photograph them :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom