Should training agencies consolidate some of their certifications?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Learner Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
As some of you are aware, I’m a bit of a fanatic and extremist when it comes to conception. Going through some of the course manuals I’ve collected from various individuals who have long retired from Scuba, I’ve noticed many of the courses overlap to a degree.

My conclusion is that some certifications should be consolidated to improve the novice divers’ capabilities toward safety. Here are some points of thought:

Open Water Diver: Should include navigation, peak buoyancy, SMB, how to handle a flashlight for night dives, fish ID, fin techniques.

• Advanced Diver/Deep Diver should be on one ticket. Pony bottle selection. How to roll off a Zodiac; narcosis recognition.
  • Master Diver/Divemaster, with Rescue Diver being just a speciality.
  • Buy the Drysuit get the course for free. Maybe pool training.
  • Nitrox/Advanced Nitrox is the same theory just extended.
  • PADI’s tec 40/45/50 in 5 metre increments to pass to the next level. With Trimix training included. If you can dive to 40 metres I’m sure you can dive to 60.
  • Cave and cavern is really the same thing. Just less light.
  • Wreck/Advanced wreck: I’m sure training in one wreck would qualify for any wreck, unless it’s deeper.
  • Extended Range/Advanced Trimix. I think any tech instructor isn’t going to take their students to the max depth on their first dive.
  • CCR training on chest mounted units should be Mod 1 and 2 being the limit. I’m guessing if you can dive back mounted CCRs to intermediate depths you have mastered the technique to slowly go deeper.

Totally agreed let's inception this conception 😂

"Open Water Diver: Should include navigation, peak buoyancy, SMB, how to handle a flashlight for night dives, fish ID, fin techniques."

Great in principle but how many people will pay $1,000+ for this super duper OW class? Or should the instructor throw in his time for free?

As some of you are aware, I’m a bit of a fanatic and extremist when it comes to conception. Going through some of the course manuals I’ve collected from various individuals who have long retired from Scuba, I’ve noticed many of the courses overlap to a degree.

My conclusion is that some certifications should be consolidated to improve the novice divers’ capabilities toward safety. Here are some points of thought:

Open Water Diver: Should include navigation, peak buoyancy, SMB, how to handle a flashlight for night dives, fish ID, fin techniques.

I've met OW divers who have excellent buoyancy as their instructor was not lazy about teaching them properly. It was part of my OW course I never needed a peak buoyancy course

"Open Water Diver: Should include navigation, peak buoyancy, SMB, how to handle a flashlight for night dives, fish ID, fin techniques."

Great in principal but how many people will pay $1,000+ for this super duper OW class? Or should the instructor throw in his time for free?

Don't need to. Just join a BSAC Club and get this training as part of your courses and its free cause you pay a membership. :)

• Advanced Diver/Deep Diver should be on one ticket. Pony bottle selection. How to roll off a Zodiac; narcosis recognition.
  • PADI’s tec 40/45/50 in 5 metre increments to pass to the next level. With Trimix training included. If you can dive to 40 metres I’m sure you can dive to 60.
  • Wreck/Advanced wreck: I’m sure training in one wreck would qualify for any wreck, unless it’s deeper.
  • Extended Range/Advanced Trimix. I think any tech instructor isn’t going to take their students to the max depth on their first dive.
  • CCR training on chest mounted units should be Mod 1 and 2 being the limit. I’m guessing if you can dive back mounted CCRs to intermediate depths you have mastered the technique to slowly go deeper.

it take time to master smb deployment this will be a struggle for a brand new diver. It will put stress on them for a starter and discourage them to continue. You are not achieve that in fews days.

Advance diver/deep diver, pony bottle selection ? In case it s buddy system i dont know why they will need a poney bottle ?

Fish ID ? How important is this if i am getting certified in the south and will never see these fish again ?

Cave and cavern the same thing ? ah ok didn't know that.

If you can dive at 40 you can dive at 60. 🧐

You should ask the GUE guys what they think ! 😂

What a load of tosh! I've read on this thread

Agencies are a business and not a diver support system. The letters P.A.D.I. are a clue!

If you want to simplify training then get yer mates to show you (it's not hard), or join a BSAC club. where it's all included in the membership,

@Learner Diver perhaps you should consider taking some of these courses. That will give you a better perspective on whether or not they need to be rewritten or consolidated.

Chat GP??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom